The Ten Best Movies For Parties

The Ten Best Movies For Parties

What You Should Be Watching At Your Next Big Get Together

1149
The Ten Best Movies For Parties
Google Images

Everybody loves a good party. If you say you don't then you are either a liar or have never been to a really good one. Regardless of this fact, every good party needs a center piece. Something that you and your friends can have to experience together and just enjoy. What's better for that than a movie?

At almost every party I and my friends have held we have watched movies or our favorite tv shows. There is just something about having people around you that you care about that makes the viewing experience a hundred times better. I honestly do not think there is a better way to bring people together who would otherwise constantly be fighting like my friends usually were than putting on a good movie that we can all watch together while we stuff our faces with unhealthy snacks. What are the best movies for parties though?

To help answer this question, here are my ten favorite movies for parties. Please keep in mind that these are entirely my opinion and honestly really depend on how you and your friends think. These movies are also not listed in any particular order. Most of them do not necessarily outrank each other on any scale and some of them are good for a specific reason or kind of party. So here we go!

Anchorman 1 and 2

When I was first starting to really get into movies in High School, Will Ferrel was a legend. He was a comedic genius starring in hit movies that I would watch one after another like Step Brothers, The Campaign and Talladega Nights. Probably the best of his films for parties (in my opinion) would be the Anchorman franchise. The two films following the crazy epic of America's favorite newsman Ron Burgundy and his wacky friends (we all love Brick) is guaranteed to make even the most stoic of your friends crack a laugh. I recommend watching both movies back to back just to get the full experience of this exclusive party saver.

Aladdin

Disney movies are a great go-to. There are few people you can find who can honestly say "yeah I hate those animated masterpieces that I spent my whole childhood watching" unless your friends are highly satirical. While my personal favorites are movies like Mulan, Moanna, and the Lion King, Aladdin is probably the best choice for a party for multiple reasons. The first is the fact that it has aged surprisingly well, unlike some other Disney counterparts. The film is absolutely beautiful and really draws your eyes to it. Another reason is Robin Williams starring as Genie. The late Williams really steals the show in this film and it is honestly worth watching just for him. The last good reason is the music. All Disney movies have their great songs, most of them have one particular great song though and the rest is kinda mediocre, a good example would be Cinderella. What songs do you remember from it asides from Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo? Or Be A Man in Mulan? Anything other than I Can Go The Distance from Hercules? Every song in Aladdin is memorable and fun to sing along to.

Birdemic: Shock and Terror

Not all of the movies on this list are great for parties because they are masterpieces of cinema. Some are on here because they are the exact opposite. None of them capture this quite like Birdemic. This extremely cheap "movie" follows a nonsensical plot themed around killer birds murdering people due to global warming and is complemented by the worst sound directing, acting and computer graphics you will ever see in a coveted film. Everything in it is laughable and that makes it great for parties. Don't choke on your popcorn at the coat hanger scene like me and my friends did.

Cool Cat

Following up Birdemic in the So-Bad-It's-Good Category is Cool Cat Saves The Kids. This educational film for children quickly turns into an uproarious adult comedy when you and your friends sit down to see the love child of Hollywood B rated director Derek Savage and his goal to make the world a safer place. I honestly can not tell you what it is exactly that makes this film so funny. It could be the grown man in an orange cat costume screaming for an hour and a half as he says classic lines like "I love ALLLLLLLL kids". Or the weird cameos of legitimate actors who seem like they had a few too many drinks with Derek before filming. Maybe it is the sequence of songs where Cool Cat's voice magically changes and he leads the Hollywood parade? Just be ready, because Cool Cat loves to rock and roll.

Napoleon Dynamite

For about two years one of my high school friends would tell me almost every day about "the greatest movie ever made" as she called it, a strange film called Napoleon Dynamite. I honestly never thought that much of it until the day she brought it to school and me and the 5 other friends crowded around her computer to collectively laugh and sigh. This film about a troubled boy in Idaho who just wants to be number one for once is, in my opinion, a marvel of story writing. It mimics the Big Lebowski and other cult classics in how the plot seems to go absolutely nowhere while also having you totally hooked and invested. You just HAVE to see it to understand the magic of this simple film. Best of wishes to Kip and Lafawnduh.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

There are a lot of reasons to love this movie. Whether it be because you are a dedicated fan to the series who actually read the comics (I pirated a few prior to seeing it and LOVED them), a geeky teen who wanted a movie to relate to or just someone looking for a movie that would make you go "Woah". This movie seems to hold a specific nostalgic value to people my age or around it. If you were a preteen or teen in 2010 seeing this film then basically summed up what it felt like. To quote Scott, "Everything suuuucckkss" despite there not being much that actually sucks. I try to make it a goal to watch it with every good friend I make just to have that moment where we remember being dumb 12-15-year-olds who thought life was hard when it hadn't even started yet.

Superbad

Superbad is kinda the next step from Scott Pilgrim. You're a teenager in high school now and all you can think about is how much you can't wait to go to those super lit parties you have heard about all your life. You get some friends together in your basement expecting everything to get super crazy and then pop that Jonah Hill movie you keep hearing about in the DVD player. And boy does things get crazy and lit... for the characters in the movie. For those watching though the party is just as fun as you laugh together at the crazy antics of the parties, you were so stoked to go to and are now realizing don't really work like in the movies. They're actually way cooler.

The Babbadook

This is NOT a movie you should watch alone. The first is that The Babbadook is actually scary. For someone like me who watches horror movies all the time and is so used to the over the top jump scares and other tropes that they do not even flinch, the film was far more terrifying than I imagined. I watched it with a large group of friends and I was still afraid to sleep that night and for days afterward. Just writing about it right now is making my neck tingle. My room seems a lot darker... The other reason is that it has phenomenal acting and is a legitimately compelling story about overcoming the grief of losing someone that makes you and everyone around you feel stronger when it ends, even if you are terrified of picture books for the rest of your life.

The Breakfast Club

Where to even begin. Actually, I can not think of a place to begin. Just if you have not seen this movie, go grab your closest friends or maybe even a few not so close ones, get some snacks and watch this tonight. Just do it.

The Room

For the finale of our list, I present you with what may be the greatest bad movie ever made. The Room is not a movie, it a journey through the mind of a man who just kinda woke up one day and said "Oh hi doggie. Let's make a movie." Oh does it show. The hilariously awkward dialogue you will be quoting for the rest of your life. That strange Tommy "he-he" laugh. Saying "Oh, Hi Mark" at the worst times. This film was made to be watched by friends and systematically torn apart for the most enjoyable experience imaginable.