Ten Essentials For A Relaxing Self-Care Session

I share my weekly self-care routine, in the hopes of inspiring others to create something similar.
584

Life as a student or “almost-adult” can be a very tiring activity. It often feels as if responsibility outweighs relaxation and you will never have any time to yourself. I am a firm believer in self-care practices and making sure you don’t devote your entire life to working. This is why I propose to you to set aside a few hours each week to spend completely away from work and responsibilities and solely focus on your well-being. Working constantly will have negative effects on your health and it’s important to prevent that.

My personal self-care time is a Sunday evening, after my work has been completed and I have eaten dinner. This is the time that personally works for me because it gives me a fresh mind before the week ahead. I understand that everyone has different schedules and this may not work for everyone but I highly recommend it. Your self-care routine can consist of anything that would be beneficial to your mental health such as activities, food, talking to others etc. To those having trouble developing a routine that works for them, I have decided to share ten essential parts of my self care routine, because I believe that everyone could benefit from aspects of it.

1. Spa Treatment

In my opinion, one of the BEST ways to participate in self care is to give yourself the spa treatment. Run a nice warm bath with a bath bomb, bath salts, or bubbles and just allow yourself to have a nice soak. I also recommend using a face mask during this time too and maybe giving yourself a mani/pedi afterwards. (PSA: Freeman’s masks are like $5 a bottle and have multiple uses and make your skin super soft!!)

2. A Nice Beverage

Treating yourself also means treating your taste buds. I prefer to drink warm beverages like hot green tea or chamomile tea but if you are of age, a glass of red wine or champagne may be a nice addition, as long as it’s in moderation.

3. Snacks

What’s the drink without the food? What you have as your ~healing snack~ is up to you, but I usually lean towards sweeter things like chocolate or fruit. I recommend keeping these snacks on the lighter side so you do not have a stomach ache afterwards, defeating the purpose.

4. Books

There is truly nothing better than curling up with a book and having no worries. I prefer reading light-hearted fiction or “beach reads” during my self-care time. I don’t often turn to non-fiction or darker stories because I don’t want to stress myself out.

5. Comfy Clothes

Alright so after you’ve sat in the bathtub for so long you’ve started shriveling into a raisin and you’ve covered yourself in scented lotions, it’s time to change into the comfiest pajamas you own. My go-to is an old oversized t-shirt, pj pants from old navy, and fuzzy socks!

6. Talking to a friend

This is the point where I will curl up with a blanket and my phone and scroll through my social media and text a few of my friends to catch up and talk. I always like to keep in touch with those who are important to me, especially because I can be so busy throughout the week I forget to check up on them. Remember to always tell the ones you love that you love them, because you never know what could happen tomorrow.

7. Netflix

Occasionally, I will watch a few episodes of a favorite show such as Friends, How I Met Your Mother, or The Office. I like to watch things that are light-hearted and comedic because I don’t want to watch a stressful show during a time when I am trying to relax.

8. Pets

If you happen to have pets, it’s time to cuddle with them! I have two cats who I absolutely adore and they will always come and cuddle with me which makes my heart happy. If you don’t have any pets, watch some cute kitten/puppy videos on youtube and you might just cry because of the cuteness. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

9. Candles

I love to have a candle burning while I’m just chilling in my room because it adds on to the relaxation vibe I’m trying to create. You can find many lower-prices candles at Target or Bath and Body Works or you can get a wax melter and use that instead. Either way, find a scent that will make you feel at home and burn it in your bathroom or bedroom.

10. Yoga/ Meditation

As a final step before I go to sleep, I like to incorporate some simple yoga and meditation. Yoga helps stretch muscles and relax the mind and meditation can help mindfulness and regaining inner strength. After meditation I’m very drowsy so it’s usually at this point I will turn off the lights and go to sleep.