A Teenage Girl's Guide To Lent

A Teenage Girl's Guide To Lent

It's time to give up what you should have given up on a long time ago

12
A Teenage Girl's Guide To Lent

When I was trying to decide what I should deprive myself of for the next six weeks, I was stuck between soda, Taco Bell, and taking four-hour naps in the middle of the day. After imagining days for the next month and a half without an after-class snooze, I came to the realization that none of these goals will affect my character. Sure, not eating Taco Bell at 11 p.m. on week nights will help me look better and improve my health, but the only thing i'll get out of it is looser pants and a healthier heart - boring. This year for lent I decided to do give up some of my toxic behaviors.

1. Ignoring calls from your family

Sorry Dad, sometimes when you call I'm not actually in the library or on my way to the gym like I say I am. And to be honest, more times than not, I'm free to spare ten minutes or so telling you about my math test I for sure banged out an A on, or how on time I am to every one of my classes - you know, what parents love to hear. I'm going to start penciling in time every few days to talk to my parents to make up for how often I texted them 'sorry I'm busy'.

2. Checking in on the past

I talk a lot of game about how great I am from moving on from bad friendships and hard times in my life, but for the first time I'll admit that I haven't been as great at it as I've said I've been. Little things like checking in if a certain someone or ex has changed their profile picture, or what they did on the holiday is detrimental behavior. To put it easier, it makes you pretty freakin' sad. The best way to give this up is to cut ties completely. Unfollow them, and when you start typing in their name on twitter, stop yourself and look up Conan instead; he has some pretty funny tweets.

3. Not ignoring calls from teenage boys

Let's face it girls, no guy texts you after 2 o'clock in the morning just to talk. No matter how hard you try to convince yourself he's actually wondering what your night was like or how your classes are, he's in it for one thing. And come on, is anyone really interested in you classes besides your parents? Getting the attention from someone is nice, but not all attention is good attention. In the next six weeks, I hope to realize when it's better not to be noticed.

4. Reposting articles on Facebook without reading the whole thing

This point goes unsaid. I don't want my future kids or grand-children stalking their Mom on Facebook and finding out I supported some bizarre conspiracy. Except for all those posts I shared about the moon landing, those were real.

5. Putting myself last

Ever since I've come to college, I've seen people all round having a harder time than I am. I lend out a helping hand and in most cases offer to walk across campus to be a shoulder to cry on in the pouring rain. Sometimes you do a lot of work for others and you forget to check in on yourself. There would be nights when girls would cry to me about missing home and I'll push it the thoughts to the back of my head about how much I wish I was home with my Mom. It's okay to let yourself feel.

Lent is traditionally the season to deny yourself of sweets and drive thru food we all secretly cannot live without. We continue to involve ourselves in toxic behavior day after day. Six weeks seems like a pretty good chance to reinvent yourself! I challenge you to pick up the donut and sip the soda you gave up and start bettering yourself as a goal.