Technology Ruined Society

Technology Ruined Society

Technology and Social Media are consuming and ruining our society.

833
Technology Ruined Society
Readers Digest

Technology.

Technology is everywhere and incredibly remarkable. The things that technology can do are frequently mind blowing. It is always evolving, becoming more accessible, and improving item by item. Every great thing that we have in the world carries pros and cons, technology being one of them. I think that technology is wonderful but I also think that we, as a society, are becoming so dependent on it that it is taking over so many aspects of our lives.

I am not here to put technology down, at all, because it is amazing for all the positive things that it does, and I am slightly obsessed with it, but rather I am here to inform you of the ways it is taking over our world in unhealthy ways. Technology has become such a dependent of society, not only with the things it was originally created to do such as aid in health care, make learning easier, and speed up manufacturing, but people are using it more now for things that we are supposed to do manually: like communicate.

Long distance communication is great through social media because it gives us a way to stay in touch with people who are far away but what ever happened to phone calls? Now we only call people when we need something. Social media definitely has more cons than pros. The fact that we can stay close-knit with people from afar is awesome; it is, but what about the misinterpretations on social media, the cyber bullying, and the false depictions of reality? These things are really taking a toll on our society and the generations to come.

Today, it seems like everyone’s life revolves around technology. Everywhere you go technology is being used. When in public, instead of starting a conversation with someone standing in line with you, we pull out our phones or tablet as a distraction because it is easier than talking to someone you do not know. How do we as humans expect to meet new people and make friends without putting in effort? I am all about bringing back the human connection and I try my hardest. I find myself having conversations with strangers, helping others and elders, contributing positively to society without seeking attention and approval from people on the Internet. Everyone wants our world to change but no one wants to contribute to the efforts it takes to make a change.

I am forever blessed that I grew up in the time period that I did. When I came home from school, I could not wait to get outside and play. Today, children go home straight to their rooms to get on game consoles or their phones. As a child, I would play in the woods, the creek, jump on the trampoline, ride my bike, climb rocks and trees, or just sit outside with my dogs. Cell phones were “a thing;” I just did not have one. I owned one game system and it was the first Play Station; my communication was face to face or over the landline (if I was allowed to use it). People rang the doorbell and introduced themselves instead of sending a text that says, “I’m here.” We were not consumed by technology but it was still an important, amazing part of society. I wish times were still like these.

As time passes, we rely on technology more and more for things that it was not created for. We are becoming lazier day by day so we create items that will do the things for us that we do not want to do. Which that is great, but do not lose your communication skills, intelligence, or attention to a piece of technology. We are slowly losing touch with others in flesh and with ourselves.

My heart aches for the generations under me here on earth and the generations to come. Our lives are so consumed by technology that we are forgetting to live our lives for ourselves but we are living for others through social media. Life is not about who has the most followers, likes, comments, etc. but rather enjoying life to the fullest because I promise you that those things do not and will not matter. One day you are going to end up in the same size box as everyone else, six feet under. And that is a fact. Do not be so consumed with attention and approval from strangers that you forget to live.