Technology in 2017: What to Expect

Technology in 2017: What to Expect

New and Exciting technologies that we should expect in 2016

11
Technology in 2017: What to Expect
ZD Net

In 2016, we saw many technical advances from the iPhone to Google's newest innovation to the artificial intelligence world. As the year begins, we should take a look at what we will be seeing, or hoping to see in the next 12 months. These new technologies, or additions to previous technologies, are attached to specific companies that are pursuing this idea or concept. The CES(Consumer Electronics Show) began on January 4, 2017, and has already been loaded with fantastic new technologies, many of which will go to final product within the year. This conference held in Las Vegas, Nevada has many top name attendees including Samsung, Ford, AT&T, Amazon, Google, and many others.

Amazon Echo(Amazon Inc.):

Amazon revealed their Amazon Echo device in November 2014, where it immediately captured the love of many potential buyers. It revealed its ability to control smart devices from lights to air conditioning systems. For some Echo users, this is not the biggest or most important feature, but it is certainly what will be the most profitable. iHome, this week released a "smart outlet" that can turn thousands of products into a smart product that will work with Echo. Whirlpool, Ford, and AT&T all introduced new integrations that will work with Echo in the future. Make no mistake, in 2017, we will see many new integrations with Echo technology.

Google Home(Google Inc.):

Google, in November 2016, nearly two years after Amazon made their debut of a personal assistant. Google's integrates with Youtube Music, Spotify, Pandora, and others compared to Amazon's Echo that only works with Amazon Music. Google is also, like Amazon is stepping into the home automation. It of course, works with Google's nest system. We should be prepared for more home automation integrations for Google Home as well.

iPhone 8(Apple Inc.):

Apple, as they do every year, will release another iPhone in September(most likely). This iPhone is expected to feature an OLED display and to get rid of the home button in its entirety, having it built into the their new revolutionary display. Wireless charging is another possibility, along with their new A11 chip. Be prepared for a loaded iPhone come their iPhone event in September 2017(rumored).

Kérastase Hair Coach(Withings Inc.):

This is no joke, a product that is currently in prototype. This is a hairbrush that can connect to your smart phone. It connects to an application that will tell you how well you are brushing your hair. The app hopes to "improve hair health over time." Will this be the next big thing in the hairbrush market? Maybe we will find out in 2017.

Self Driving Cars(Google Inc., Uber, Ford, etc.):

Car companies all over the world have began testing and developing self driving cars. In November 2016, Uber made headlines after they placed their line of self driving cars on the streets of San Francisco. This is a technology that has been in development for a long time, and maybe we should expect to see a leap forward in 2017 with self driving car technology.

Drones, Commercial and Personal(GoPro, DJI, Ehang, Amazon, Dominoes):

2016 was a big step for both commercial and personal drones, but we can expect even more in 2017. Amazon Prime Air has began beta testing their drone delivery systems in the United Kingdom towards the end of 2016. PC Mag reports that Dominoes made their first pizza delivery with a drone. The personal and domestic drone topic is also expected to have big steps. DJI, the Chinese company who is a main developer for drones in the United States, has dropped their prices over the last year making these drones more accessible. Ehang previewed their new drone at the CES conference that has a 4K camera which is expected to a big competitor of DJI. However, the biggest competitor of DJI, will be an American company who recently stepped into the drone market, GoPro. GoPro released their new drone, Karma Drone, in late October. It folds up and can fit in a backpack(DJI followed up with their version as well). In 2017, we should keep our eye on where the drone market goes, and how prices are affected by the growing popularity in the United States.

If you have any other ideas to what technologies will be popular, new, or exciting in 2017...please leave them in the comments below! Thanks!