In The Future, Technology Needs To Be Controlled

We have it. We abuse it. We love it. We're victims.

23
Lidtime

Thank God for all the people who've made our lives so much easier in the 21st Century compared to centuries ago. Today, we can basically do everything with just the touch of a button and we love it. There, I said it!

Not only that, but technology has become so useful in our lives that some medical advances have only been possible because of it. Every day, we can be certain that somewhere in the world someone will eventually come up with a new solution, making a disease treatable.

Thanks to technology and on a simpler example we no longer carry books with us. I'm a book nerd so this is actually a bit upsetting to watch happen. I love reading. I love the smell that book pages leave on my hands after flipping page after page- but thanks to technology less and less people get to experience this. Though this is upsetting to a few, we cannot deny how convenient this turned out to be- in particular to students who no longer have to carry a 500+ page textbook.

Bank visit? That’s so yesterday, because everything we need is in our phones! Our phones have been created to hold so much information that it has been designed to carry even our most precious information- our checking account balances! Without having to walk half a mile to visit our banks, we can have access to this information just by opening an application, that after we grant permission, will either make our day or just break us with only the use of numbers.

Where did maps go? Oh that’s right, into our phones! This is probably the most convenient out of all because regardless of what new places, even if it’s the jungle, we visit, if we have full coverage on our phones, and some data remaining, the maps in them will help us get around anywhere. But let us not forget Siri, who is probably a best friend to a few of us because thanks to technological advances, we no longer feel alone and she will more than likely tell us the most important piece of information ever… where the nearest burger place is at! Thanks for everything Siri.

But let's face it, we're not only benefiting from all these advances- we are being victimized.

Unfortunately, it only takes a commute on an MTA train or any public transportation or to sit in a park to realize that people are no longer interested in knowing what's going on around them, and that's a problem. It only takes you to find a comfortable seat on a train to realize that at least 38 people out of the 52 are stuck to their phones or iPad’s screens- sometimes missing on their stop. Congratulations, you're not alone!

The problem may not seem as obvious or as serious but if we carefully compare our modern days to as early as 1993, our society has made tremendous technological advances. This is something to be thankful for in many ways, yet we manage to ignore the way our brains work with and without technology. Ask yourself this question: how well can you go about your day without technology?

If we carefully explore the way we are influenced by society we realize some things are eventually troublesome. With technology in our surroundings, it seems as if we're losing connection with the real world, leading us to merge ourselves into worlds that not only make us look like zombies when we're too focused on a screen but, one that leaves us with a sense of vulnerability.

For instance, how many of us actually know our most used phone numbers of the people we communicate with on a daily basis? Reality of the fact is that, more than likely, few of us do. This is not due to a lack of memorization on our parts but simply because of how easy it's been made for anyone who owns a cell phone to save into the phone's memory, making it even easier to just press a button or speed dial a person's number whenever you need to reach them. You don't even have to dial 9-1-1 in case of an emergency because our phones have a special feature which allows us to press and call with just a click.

Do home phones actually still exist? Yes they do and are still used in our grandparents' homes, but do we really need them as much as before? Not really. Today, home phones are not needed since we can be reached at any given time of the day. And if you happen to miss a call- whallaaah! Just press the missed call number and you’ll automatically be calling the person back.

Though, the victimization humans are going through isn't too obvious because after all, technology hasn’t been banned in the world. The truth is, it’s making us depend on it. We can no longer sit through a commute to a destination without having to use our phones, computers or Ipads. It has taken over our society in ways that can be negative but, we can positively benefit from them.

It’s been clear that technology will never stop advancing. Instead, it will be us who will stop making usage of our 5 senses sooner or later, depending completely off of a robot. Regardless of the way we view this issue, one thing for sure is that technology is working both positive and negative ways around us. It is up to us to learn how to control and use the power of properly advancing along with technology.