Piercings And Tattoos Should Be Accepted In The Work Place

No, My piercings And Tattoos Don't Change My Work Capabilities

My nose piercing does not affect my ability to use Excel.

182

I have always loved piercings. There are so many different piercings and different designs and styles that can be created with piercings. I currently have eight piercings, if you don't count them in pairs.

I have six in my ears, one in my nose, and I have a navel piercing as well.

I was so excited to get my nose pierced. I begged my mom for about a year to get it done. I saved up some money and when I turned 16, she signed off so I could finally get one. I absolutely loved it and still do to this day.

I showed all my friends, especially the ones who said I wouldn't do it. My mom posted a photo on Facebook and showed some of her friends. Some people thought it looked great, but a lot of the responses were "You let her do that?"

They were shocked and at the age of 16, I really couldn't understand why. Well, now I get it.

I get asked a lot "Aren't you worried you won't find a job with that?"

To be honest, no. I am not afraid I won't find a job. If a company in this day and age won't hire me because I have a 2mm stud in my nose, then it's not a company I want to work for.

How does this little shiny thing affect my ability to write, to use powerpoint, or whatever other skills the job requires? The simple answer is that it doesn't.

Same goes for tattoos. In my opinion, workplace tattoos are just another way to show art. It's the same as the guy in cubicle three putting up his kid's drawing. Only this drawing follows a person around.

Tattoos are a little bit different than piercings in the workplace. This mostly only applies when they are offensive in some way. I would not hire a person who has a swastika tattooed on their neck, but I don't see the harm in someone who has a butterfly on their neck.

There are always going to be what-ifs and different situations where different rules apply. For the most part, though, tattoos and piercings should be perfectly acceptable in the workplace.

People should be hired on ability and merit, not on looks. I think the definition of professionalism and the "professional look" needs to change with society. The times are changing and the companies that don't change with them are going to be left behind.