Six Takeaways from Traveling with My Best Friends
Travel

6 Takeaways From Traveling Across The Country With My Best Friends

The destination is just the beginning.

67
Photo owned by Hailie Hensley

Two days after my high school graduation, six of my best friends and I packed up and headed out west. It was the senior trip we had all been planning for months. Within the span of ten days, we would travel through fifteen states. What I learned from this trip will stick with me forever.

There is life outside of your hometown.

When you get stuck in a routine and get used to your surroundings, it can be hard to think about the things that are going on outside of your hometown. Traveling so far in such a short amount of time made me realize that there is so much more happening than the stuff that affects me every day.

Your appreciation for other people and environments will grow tremendously.

This kind of goes along with the first point. Being able to witness first hand the difference in interactions between locals as well as the difference in geographical features will make you appreciate the vastness of the world so much more.

Your patience and compromising skills will be tested.

Cramming seven people and all of their luggage into an eight-person car and driving for 8-10 hours every other day is enough to make anyone grouchy. Someone says they're hungry, but no one can decide where to eat. Someone has to pee like right this minute (that was usually me), but there are no bathrooms for four miles so the driver tries to hurry and then gets pulled over in New Mexico. Not fun.

There is nothing better than doing/seeing new things with the people you love most.

Arriving at our destinations was so rewarding. Sharing that overwhelming moment of awe with my best friends when we saw or tried something we had never experienced before warmed my heart every time.

You understand why your best friends are your best friends.

Planning and going on our trip was so fun because all of us shared similar interests. Seldom was an activity suggested that couldn't be agreed upon by the whole group.

Leaving beautiful places isn't so bad when you know your friends are what made it fun.

While none of us wanted to leave the beautiful canyons, deserts, and mountains that the Midwest offered, going home wasn't so bad knowing that you would still have your friends once you got there.