Takeaways from the Lakers's Performance At Summer League

The Lakeshow is back! Kind of.

7
Sports Illustrated

After dropping their first two games, the Los Angeles Lakers turned things around in a big way, winning the rest of their games en route to becoming Summer League champions. Despite bleak beginnings with a poor debut from Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram being shut down for the entirety of the tournament following leg cramps, this squad pushed forward and displayed a brand of winning basketball that Laker fans haven't seen in years.

With the Lakers playing more than exceptionally well, there are plenty of good, as well as a handful of bad, things to takeaway from the eight games that the Lakers played.

Lonzo Ball is a franchise player

Say what you want about Lonzo's hype going into the league, his father Lavar, or about the shoe theatrics that everyone insists on following. The fact of the matter is that Lonzo Ball, following his lackluster debut, has proven that he is capable of being a player the Lakers could, and will build around.

The second overall pick in the NBA Draft has established the type of basketball that head coach Luke Walton is looking to implement: a fast-paced offense that looks to get everyone involved, where the ball moves faster than the defense. He controlled the speed of the game and often times set up teammates for easy baskets.

Although the shooting is still a work-in-progress, his passing and rebounding should translate to the NBA game. But more importantly, Ball will make this team relevant and exciting to watch again.

The quality that surprises most about Ball is that he has been nothing short of humble. It's not about the stats, and glory, or the highlights. He consistently deflects credit for his performance to his teammates and strikes the viewer as humbled and focused on winning games. That's the kind of player that fans and his teammates alike want to see from their future leader.

Keep in mind that Ball is only 19-years-old and already has the pressure to carry a legendary franchise back into relevancy following mediocrity the past four seasons. It's going to take a lot of work, but under the great Magic Johnson, Lonzo should develop into one of the best young leaders in the NBA.

Kyle Kuzma may be the steal of the draft

Kuzma is the stud that nobody saw coming come Summer League. Following the team ruling Ingram out for the entirety of the Summer League, he received the start and flourished with the extra minutes.

He was fantastic throughout the tournament, averaging 21.9 points per game on an outstanding 51.4 percent from the field and ridiculous 48 percent from three.

Although much of his success is a result of being a beneficiary to Ball's play, Kuzma put the exclamation point to his play in the championship game. Without Ball on the floor, Kuzma had a phenomenal night, putting up 30 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown in addition to 10 rebounds for the game.

Kuzma showed a variety of different skills from knocking down open threes to finishing at the rim through contact and finessing defenders with some nifty spin moves. At his size and versatility, Kuz has the potential to be a quality 3 or 4 on the floor, creating legitimate match-up problems given his current skill set.

It will the interesting to see what role he plays in the Lakers rotation, but his play during the Summer League forces the Lakers to find minutes for him. At the end of the season, fans may very well see a quality sixth man playing behind Brandon Ingram.

Ivica Zubac struggled big time

Zubac throughout last year's regular season and Summer League showed promise and was expected to take a step forward this year, but he looked slow and unimpressive on the floor.

Often times he couldn't get off quality shots in the post and didn't look comfortable at times on the floor. It doesn't seem like the Lakers's big man is dealing with injuries or fatigued. He simply was unable to provide at a higher rate when he was on the floor.

This may be worrisome for fans and the franchise alike, but Zubac has training camp to show a better version of himself. He should fully be expected to be the back up center to Brook Lopez and hopefully Summer League is not an indication of stagnation from the young center.

Vander Blue? Matt Thomas? Thomas Bryant? Someone else?

This Lakers squad played exceptionally well, but there are only so many spots that the Lakers could offer to round out their roster. The players listed above played well enough to legitimately be considered for roster spots.

Vander Blue proved himself to be a scorer for this team. He's the most versatile offensive player of the bunch and provided timely buckets when the Lakers needed them most. He also showed an ability to get to the rim and shoot the three, but at times did seem ball dominant, which may not be the worst thing considering he'd be coming off the bench if he made the roster.

Matt Thomas was a surprise that absolutely no one saw coming. He was a deadeye from the field and it seemed that he could not miss. In his minutes on the floor, Thomas showcased elite shooting, particularly in his last three games. In back-to-back-to-back games, Thomas averaged 20 points per game in addition to hitting on 14 of his 16 threes (an INCREDIBLE 87.5 percent). There's no question that he's the best shooter, and surrounding Lonzo with shooters would be deadly, but what is certain is that Thomas should have earned the attention of several NBA teams given his elite shooting.

Thomas Bryant played quality minutes off the bench as a big body in the paint that has the capability to stretch the floor. Although he only averaged 5.1 points and 3.3 rebounds in about 13 minutes per game, Bryant's ability to stretch the floor and be another big body on a team that lacks bigs that can shoot the ball. He could be a valuable asset for the Lakers, but not immediately considering he would likely be playing behind the likes of Brook Lopez, Julius Randle, Larry Nance Jr., and Ivica Zubac.

The Lakers reportedly want to add a veteran point guard to mentor Lonzo, so who knows what may happen in terms of completing this roster.

There are a number of different things that can change in regards to the Lakers's roster come the fall, but the buzz around this team will not be going anywhere. With plenty of young assets and the possibility of adding a huge free agent come the 2018 off-season, the team has a future to look forward to. But as of this season, the Lakers are going to be watchable again and fans should expect a jump from years of mediocrity.