Synchronized Skating Shows The World What It's Made Of

Why we came together in Colorado Springs.

95
Jura Synchro

Last week, the best synchronized skating teams from all over the globe came together in Colorado Springs, CO to compete for the title of world champion. The competition included 24 teams from 19 different countries. The excitement and anticipation filled the Broadmoor World Arena as the world watched the beauty that is synchronized skating.

Team Paradise from Russia took home the gold, followed by Marigold IceUnity of Finland in second, and Canada's Nexxice in third. The two teams from the United States gave beautiful performances, with the Haydenettes landing in fourth place and the Crystalettes placing ninth in the world.

The Synchronized Skating World Championships is more than just a competition. It's about coming together as one sport and sharing memories. We are all athletes and supporters who love synchronized skating and want to watch it flourish and become the best sport it can possibly be. In her opening statement, the ISU's representative at the competition mentioned the efforts to make synchronized skating an Olympic sport. As the entire crowd cheered, I knew that we were truly one team. We are one worldwide team with one mission.

Even those who did not know synchro that well were amazed by the quality of skating they saw last weekend. These teams flowed across the ice and created art for the world to see. The competition definitely raised awareness for the sport and showed that we deserve a shot at becoming a part of the Olympics in 2022.

Some of my favorite moments from the competition didn't even take place on the ice. They were during ice cuts when the entire stadium would dance to one song together (the Dutch team loved to dance and it made me smile just watching). Another was catching up with some of my best friends from home who I hadn't seen since I left in August. Other memories were getting to know future teammates and spending time with fellow synchro-lovers.

Even though we may not have agreed with the scores, this competition was an amazing opportunity to watch the best synchro teams in the world. I still feel like it was surreal. Chanting USA as the Crystallettes and Haydenettes skated was one of the best feelings you can imagine. I will always cherish these memories and remember the incredible experience.

The synchro season may be over, but Worlds just made us even more excited for the next season. Let's show the world what synchro skaters are made of, and that we deserve to be in the Olympics.