Swoboda, The Mets, And The World Series

Swoboda, The Mets, And The World Series

What Ron Swoboda had to Say About the Mets and their Recent World Series Trip

38
Swoboda, The Mets, And The World Series
metsmerized.com

Ron Swaboda wasn’t playing for the New York Mets last season when they played in the World Series against the Kansas City Royals. Swoboda played for the “Miracle” Mets in 1969 when they beat the Baltimore Orioles in the World Series.

Flash back 46 years from the Mets most recent World Series appearance, Ron Swoboda was playing outfield in the 1969 World Series against his hometown team, the Baltimore Orioles. “The irony of playing against your hometown team, the team you wanted to play for,” said Swoboda. In that series in game four, Swoboda would make catch that saved the game and possibly the series for the Mets. Swoboda would make a diving catch on ball hit by Brooks Robinson in the ninth inning to end a Baltimore rally.

The Mets would win game four in the tenth inning by a score of 2-1.

“I knew I made a helluva play,” said Swoboda. “It stands out because conventional wisdom was that I wasn’t a very good defensive outfielder.” If Swoboda hadn’t made that catch, the Mets very well might have not won the World Series that year and there would be no “Miracle” Mets. “If that ball gets by me, we have a chance of being tied two games a piece instead of winning and being in a commanding lead.”

That play, now known to Mets fans as “the catch” still excites fans to this day when they look back at their World Series team. “I didn’t think I’d still be making a little bit of a living off a play I made years ago,” joked Swoboda.

Swoboda would go on to play for the Montreal Expos, New York Yankees and Atlanta Braves before retiring from the game of baseball. Swoboda still identifies with the Mets though. “I enjoyed my time with the Yankees,” said Swoboda. “I’m a Mets guy though because of the series in 1969.”

Swoboda cheered on his Mets last season as they played in the World Series.

Swoboda saw a lot of similarities between his Championship team in 1969 and the 2015 Mets. “The base of our 69 team was our pitching staff and I think it was the same for the Mets.” It is hard to argue that when the Mets had pitchers like Matt Harvey, Steven Matz, Noah Syndergaard and Jacob DeGrom. Swoboda would say that defense was “not the Mets long suit” and that the Royals were “the best fastball hitting team in baseball.” Ultimately, the Mets would be out hit by the Royals as the Mets bats went dead and lose the series.

Swoboda will still be there to cheer his Mets on for the 2016 season no matter what though. “I’m a Mets fan,” said Swoboda. “I want to see my team win. Period.”