Surviving A Target Visit Calls For More Than You May Think

That red logo, the shiny carts, the happy people; it is a danger zone for your wallet.

283
Google

A few weeks ago, I started to make a list of household items such as shampoo, Febreeze, and Tupperware, that I needed in my dorm. I let the list kind of grow on its own, adding a few items every other day or so. Next thing I knew, it was time to go shopping. But then, I had to leave UCF and go home for a family emergency. I basically dropped everything and left, packing all of my clothes, not expecting how long I would be gone.

A week or so later, I made the drive from home back to UCF. As I dropped all of my belongings on my bed, unpacked my bag of clothes, organizing my school work on my desk, and cleaning the dust off my dressers, I began to unwind and feel back at “home.” Everything was put back in its place and I felt ready for bed, wanting to get some extra sleep, believing I was ready for my routine to begin.

Suddenly, a little voice told me “you need to go to Target!” I shot up, grabbed my keys and phone, and headed to Target. Thank goodness Target stays open so late because it was already past my bedtime. I whipped into the parking lot and marched into the store, grabbing the shiny red cart and preparing to start at the groceries and loop around in my normal route. I was ready to tackle my list and check it twice.

But there was a problem. As I’m searching and searching through my thoughts and my belongings, I realized I forgot my long list I had been so focused on filling out. “Whatever, I don’t need it, I know what I need,” I told myself. But Target replied, “Yes, don't worry, I know what you need,” and the Pandora Box of Target’s tricks and toys exploded in my face. After an hour of walking around, and 2 reminders over the intercom that the store was preparing to close, I had a shiny red cart full of all the things Target knew I needed. Things like orange juice, a cute dress, a scarf, Tupperware, a vegetable peeler, a cute decoration for my wall, jump rope, candle, and so much more. With a cart full of tricks and toys, I was ready to happily get my 5% off my entire purchase.

But then, another problem. I’m searching through my purchases and I realize my wallet is not at the bottom of them. I realized very quickly that my wallet is happily stored away in my book bag, ready to start my new routine the next day. I stood there in disbelief. I had come to Target, opened Pandora’s Box, happily strolled through all the sections, touching all the products, picking through, grabbing everything, and proudly made it to the self-checkout. And now, I had to close the box and leave empty-handed. I told the cashier the situation, and all she did was put her hand on my shoulder and say, “it’s okay, you’ll be back”. I walked out with my head low, got into my car, and drove back to my little dorm.

Suddenly, I really realized what had just happened. I had made it out of Target with nothing in my hands. That has never happened. The more I thought about that trip to target as I drove away, the more I realized that I was only of the lucky ones. I was one of the lucky ones who survived Target’s Pandora Box of tricks. Everything I had in my cart was nothing I needed from my list. I had lost myself the second I walked into the store without my list, and Target took advantage of me. But I came out on top, and I felt somewhat proud that I didn’t buy anything. I was proud that the Pandora Box was closed, and my wallet was nicely intact.

However, I went back the next day and bought way more than I should of. So I’m not really sure how long that pride lasted, but it was sweet while it did. All I've got to say is good luck to all Target shoppers because the only way you can survive a loop around the isles is to not bring your wallet.