How to Survive the End of the Semester

How to Survive the End of the Semester

If you feel like you're going kind of crazy right now, you're not alone.

2
How to Survive the End of the Semester

It's finally that time of the year-the first semester is almost over. That's right, we're almost there, and we have survived this far so I'm sure we can make it through these next few weeks. As exciting as this is, it is also extremely stressful. I've seen my friends, classmates and even professors going into panic mode lately. Finals are coming up, class registration is still giving everyone anxiety, and most people are just looking forward to winter break. So if these past couple of weeks have put you in a bad mood, you're not alone. Here's how to make life a little more bearable.

1. Give yourself a break.
This sounds easy, in theory, but it can be really difficult for some people. Having an off day? Didn't do so well on a test? It's okay, everyone goes through that. It doesn't mean you're a terrible student or that you need to suddenly drop out of college. You just need to take a step back, realize you are human just like everyone else, and move on. I like to ask myself "will this matter in five years?" If it won't, don't stress over it too much.

2. Watch Netlfix.
We all know that binge-watching Netflix can be dangerous. I've stayed up late way too many times to catch up on Shameless. But the fact is, focusing on something other than homework and studying and even your job can really help you out. Take some time out of your day to sit back and watch one of your favorite shows. You'll feel much better after.

3. Relax.
Netlfix not your thing? That's okay, there are tons of ways to relax. From listening to music, to meditation to adult coloring books, the options are endless. Choose whatever calms you down, and take a few minutes to do it. It'll relieve stress and leave you feeling more confident to get through the day.

4. Call your best friend.
Most people don't go to the same school as their best friend. Mine lives in New Hampshire, and it feels weird not seeing her all the time. Whenever we get a chance to Facetime, even if its just for a few minutes, I feel much better. So, call your best friend, or mom, or sibling-anyone you don't see often. Taking the time to catch up and maybe rant a little about school will definitely help.

5. Nap.
Before starting school, I thought all college students who said they liked taking naps were insane. I read articles where they mentioned the idea of napping between classes and thought, "I'll never do that." Now I realize napping is just about the best time of the day. Sleep is hard to catch up on in college, and taking some time to just rest is always refreshing.

6. Take time for you.
I'm an introvert, so I almost always prefer being alone instead of with other people. A day of social interaction leaves me exhausted and honestly kind of annoyed, so I'm always happy when I'm by myself again. But even if you don't feel that way, it's still good to take some time by yourself every once in a while. Just going for a walk alone can help you clear your mind. You should even treat yourself-buy that chocolate bar, get your nails done; whatever it is that makes you happy, do it.

7. Just take a deep breath.
The semester is almost over, and while finals are stressful, they don't define your life. Soon enough we'll be on break, and all the worries of school can go away for a little while. In the meantime, don't let yourself get too stressed out. Just breathe, take everything one step at a time, and relax. You'll be okay.