The Surprising Benefits Of Pornography

The Surprising Benefits Of Pornography

Porn may actually be good for your relationships and personal health. Who knew?

8853
The Surprising Benefits Of Pornography

For many people, stumbling upon someone's browser history can be a bit troubling, and even traumatic. Pornography is one of the most taboo subjects, so it seems counterintuitive to think viewing porn can be good for you. There are many studies out there discussing the detriments of porn, but we often overlook the lighter and brighter side of the argument. While porn certainly will not be curing cancer anytime soon, it is not nearly as bad as the anti-porn frenzy would suggest. In fact, it comes with surprising benefits for porn users. To defend porn against its critics, here are some reasons why a little Internet porn is good for you.

It's actually pretty healthy, and very normal.

Sure, porn may provide people with unrealistic expectations about sex and relationships, but so does "Twilight." Unrealistic expectations about sex are everywhere, so porn cannot be blamed for that! Some people watch porn to escape. It depends on how it is being used that determines its effect on your sex life. Ultimately, no one should feel threatened or ashamed.

Despite the studies claiming that porn is bad for your brain and your relationships, there are just as many studies saying that porn does not cause irrevocable harm to the brain or your sex life — in fact, it might even be kind of good for you. A survey done of 688 Danish adults concluded that porn did not yield any negative mental or health effects. In fact, the researchers found a positive correlation between the subjects’ porn viewing and increased sexual satisfaction, as well as self-reported benefits in other areas of their lives.

It allows you to explore and learn.

Porn is great for when you want your fantasies created for you, because let’s be honest, we are not always that creative. Just as sex ed was how we find out about the mechanics of sex -- what goes where — pornography is how many of us begin to figure out how that relates to our sexualities. Pornography is not an ideal replacement for sex ed, but it can be an excellent education as to what’s out there for you to explore.

It is all about how you use it; of course porn is exaggerated, but name one aspect of the entertainment industry that isn't. There are definitely unrealistic expectations — especially for women — so we must keep in mind how porn is a way to get a taste of what certain things might be like, not what it will actually be like. Don't use porn as your own sex encyclopedia because not everything is exactly by the book. Only real exploration can tell you what you actually like, but using porn as a jumping-off point may not be such a bad idea.

It can help people feel more comfortable with sex.

Sex, in general — with its unanticipated noises and bodily fluids and ridiculous O-faces — is kind of funny, and even a little silly at times. The fact that there’s an added level to artifice to porn makes it even better. If you cannot get into porn itself, you can at least get behind the idea that sex should be fun. Watching porn can help people get more comfortable with all the crazy nuances of sex.

Keep in mind, however, that porn is a form of entertainment created by professionals. This does not mean porn cannot help you explore what your likes and dislikes are; it just means you should keep things in perspective. Actors may do things you do not agree with, but that does not mean you have to do it, too. Although most of us may be uncomfortable talking about certain aspects of sex, viewing media can be a helpful way to broach that subject and create opinions for yourself and others.

It can help your relationships.

The best sex happens when partners are on the same page. Watching porn together helps couples get honest and open about their preferences — and that's when good sex happens. If both people are comfortable with something, that can be a great revelation. In fact, a 2014 study in the Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy found that couples who were honest with each other about their porn use generally had healthier relationships.

Pornography is not a replacement for the real thing, but research has also shown that having a healthy masturbation schedule actually makes us better sex partners — and partners in general. While not only being good for your physical and mental health, it is a way to continue making sure your own sexual needs are being met outside of the bedroom. Even for those in relationships, it is important to be able to make each other happy, along with making yourself happy.

There is an enormous divide between perspectives on porn in our society. While some say it is perfectly healthy and natural, others say it accounts for porn-related issues such as erectile dysfunction, elevated divorce rates and even sex addictions. There is good and bad; it is not that simple, and there will probably never be a final study on porn to sway everybody from one side to the other. Whether you watch porn or not, it can be agreed that the keys to positive sexuality are honesty, close attention to your own desires, and good communication — so sex gets better for everyone!