Why You Should Support Your County Fair

Why You Should Support Your County Fair

It's more than just Ferris wheels and funnel cakes.

193
Why You Should Support Your County Fair
The Northwest Washington Fair and Event Center

August is here, and for many people that means the county fair is right around the corner. Some people attend fairs for the rides, cotton candy, or a concert, while for others the fair is a time of competition. For the kids who participate in 4-H or FFA, the fair is when all of their hard work comes to fruition.

1. Adorable sights.

If you love watching cute things happen, look no further than the seven-year-old trying to convince their favorite rooster to crow in the crowing contest, or the nine-year-old fighting to keep their lamb from eating their fairy wings in the costume parade. The antics of these kids and their animals is sure to keep you saying "aww."

2. You're supporting the next generation of leaders.

As kids learn about their projects, they develop pride in the hard work they've put in. Whether it's raising a market hog, sewing a quilt or giving a presentation, these kids are learning skills that will help them do well in school, get jobs and become an essential part of society. Attending the fair and looking at what they've done will not only restore your own faith in the future, but it helps kids to know that other people see the value in the work that they've put in.

3. You can learn fun facts.

Do you see that kid sweeping the aisle way in front of their pens? Yeah, they're stuck there watching the animals until the end of their two-hour barn duty shift. Their duties? To keep everything looking beautiful and answer questions the public might have. Since sweeping the now-imaginary shavings away can get monotonous, it's a nice break when someone asks you a question. Most kids love talking about their project, so stop and take advantage of this opportunity to learn something new. I'm willing to bet you'll both enjoy the experience.

4. "Fair"-ly cheap entertainment.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Fairs can be quite expensive if you don't plan ahead, but if you pack yourself a lunch, bring along some bottles of water, and budget for the one or two "fair food" items that you deem as must-haves, it doesn't have to be that costly. One of the things that really drives up the price of a day at the fair is rides, so if your focus is on the traditional, agricultural aspects of the fair, you can have a blast without spending too much.

5. Traditions.

Whether it's the pie eating contest, watching the kids show their animals or listening to the musicians on the free stage, there's something classically American about the county fair. Take a walk back in time with experiencing many of the things Americans have loved for generations.

6. People watching.

I'm not sure what it is, but the county fair seems to be the place where people wear the weirdest clothes or do the oddest things. Make it a competition with your friends to see who can find the quirkiest people watching experience.

7. Healthy competition.

In a world where the balance between the "everyone is a winner" and "if you're not first, you're last" mentalities is rarely achieved, county fairs find a way to walk that line. In 4-H and FFA shows, there are three different standards: blue, red and white. Each color of ribbon has a different set of qualifications. All of the kids can achieve the blue standard, or some can get blue, some red, and some white, depending on how their project measures up to the standard. In this way, kids are rewarded for their work equally, but there still remains one champion and one reserve champion, meaning that there is always a goal to strive for.

Perhaps it's been a few years since you've visited a fair, or maybe you're tired of the same rides and commercial exhibits. This year I encourage you to give your county fair another shot, take in the sights and experiences of the fair from a new perspective,focus on the cool things that kids are learning, or look at the ways that fairs have changed over the years, but take the time to share in this small slice of America that sometimes gets forgotten.