8 Superfoods You Simply Need To Add To Your 2019 Diet

Your body will thank you for this simple yet super effective resolution.

75
unsplash.com/@brookelark
Unsplash

Superfoods are simple foods that pack a punch of important vitamins and nutrients that do a lot of good for your body. As a new year approaches, make the resolution to make these superfoods a beneficial addition to your everyday diet.

1. Berries

All kinds of berries are a great source of fiber for the body. We need fiber to keep our digestive system running smoothly. Fiber is also super fillings so berries are a great snack if your looking to cut back on your daily food intake! Since fresh berries are out of season in the winter, try buying frozen berries to make yummy smoothies with! It's the perfect way to start the day: a nutritious, filling, and delicious smoothie.

2. Tea

Tea's powerful and wide range of health benefits make it the perfect addition to your daily routine. While each kind of tea offers unique benefits, there are also a lot of common benefits to all teas. Tea is an antioxidant, which means it helps you look younger and aids in cell repair and regeneration. Be sure to drink your tea freshly brewed, as this maximizes the amount of antioxidants you consume. Tea is also said to keep your bones strong, help you lose weight, and even reduce your risk of heart attack or stroke. Drink up!

3. Eggs

Eggs are an amazing source of protein to help you feel full for longer, which is why they are a great breakfast option. They also contain lots of necessary vitamins including vitamin A, B, D, K, calcium, zinc, folate, phosphorous, and even more! In fact, eggs are considered to be one of the most nutritious food on the planet because there are trace amounts of almost every kind of essential nutrient! Sorry vegans...

4. Spinach

These dark greens are also super rich in tons of essential vitamins and nutrients. Spinach is said to help weight loss, keep the brain young, and reduce risk of diabetes. In fact, all dark green vegetables are an amazing addition to weekly meals. Add spinach or other greens to your morning shakes, make it you dinner side, or try it in a salad! There's a reason Popeye eats so much of it.

5. Oats

Another great breakfast option to start your day with a heaping serving of fiber. Fiber from oats helps you stay fuller throughout the day so you can avoid unhealthy snacking. Be mindful of added sugars in many oatmeal brands, however, and opt for plain oats to add flavor to with berries, yogurt, nuts, or other fruits too. There are also yummy and simple recipes for baking with oats to try out!

6. Yogurt

Yogurt is the perfect afternoon, late morning snack, or even on-the-go breakfast. Yogurt is full of probiotics, good bacteria that keeps our guts clean and aids healthy digestion. It's best to opt for plain, greek yogurt to minimize added sugars and maximize protein intake.

7. Nuts

Nuts are PACKED with polyunsaturated fats and magnesium which are super important for your heart's health. They also are a great vegetarian option for protein needs! Nuts can also reduce risk of diabetes and are said to protect against cancer. Mix and switch up the kinds of nuts you're eating to get the whole range of vitamins and minerals they offer. Try different nut butters, trail mixes, or just grab a handful of almonds on the go!

8. Avocados

Avocados are a great source of healthy fats, minerals, and vitamins. Eating avocados has been said to reduce risk of heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and certain cancers. Spread them on toast, add chopped ones into your salad, or use guacamole as your go-to dip!

The great thing about all of these superfoods is that they are super easy to add into your daily diet! Experimenting with new recipes is a great (and super delicious) way to get exciting about eating better. These delicious and healthy foods will make this year's resolution the one that finally sticks!