The Road To Superbowl 52: Part 1

The Road To Superbowl 52: Part 1

The Superbowl is almost upon us, who will win?

313
The Road To Superbowl 52: Part 1

The Superbowl is once again almost upon us. The game to end all games, the end to a long an arduous season, with one team going home with the ability to say, "We are the best!"

But the road to the Superbowl is extremely challenging, and out of 32 teams, only four have made it to their respective championship games. Now, because I cannot see into the future, I will be making my best predictions, and, hopefully, I won't screw things up too poorly, but hey, I'm human, cut me some slack if I do.

Without any further ado, let's take a look at the matchups:

AFC Championship: Jacksonville Jaguars v. New England Patriots

I am a huge Patriots fan, and before you get up to leave, just hold on a minute and let me just finish what I want to say. Even though I am a Patriots fan, I think the winner of this game is far from certain. After watching the Jags thoroughly defeat the Steelers in the Divisional round, I believe that the Jaguars CAN beat the Patriots, and even win the Superbowl. I just don't want them to.

Statistically*, these two teams are opposites. One has been a dominant defense all year, as well as being the best at the rush in the entire NFL, while the other has an overall dominant offense, having the highest average offensive yardage in the NFL.

I am rooting for the Patriots, but there is no guarantee that one team has a surefire win over the other. Here's what each team needs to do to have the best chance of moving on to the Superbowl:

Jaguars: Defense, defense, defense. The Jaguars defense is playing the best it has all season, and they need to come up big again. Tom Brady is arguably the best QB in the entire NFL and has a full cast of competent receivers at his disposal. Shutting down the passing game needs to be the top priority for this defense.

Aside from that, the Jags have been great against the rush all year, and that needs to continue if they are going to have any success keeping Brady out of the end zone.

Players needing to step up:As for the offense, Leonard Fournette needs to have a big day, no if's and's or but's. He is the heart of their rushing offense. As evidenced by the divisional round against the Steelers, when he's not in the game, bad things tend to happen, when the offense stalled after he went out during the second quarter with an ankle injury.

Another person that needs to be on the ball this week is Blake Bortles. He's made the big plays this year, but this is crunch time, and his team is counting on him to step up and hit his receivers.

Patriots:Let that ball fly, baby! This defense is tough, but if you make the completions, the rest will fall into place. This team has been a terrific offense all season with people like Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Cooks, Danny Amendola, Chris Hogan, and even RB James White.

Dion Lewis has also been tearing up the turf when given the chance, with an average of five yards a carry. Keep that offense up and the game should be a good one.

Players needing to step up:Looking at the defensive side of the ball, players like Malcolm Butler, Kyle Van Noy, and Trey Flowers better be ready for Sunday, because the Jags are coming, and they're ready to give their best.

*All statistics are taken from NFL.com and are from the regular season, linked above.

NFC Championship: Minnesota Vikings v. Philadelphia Eagles

This matchup leaves me stumped. After watching the Vikings/Saints game, and witnessing the so-called "Minneapolis Miracle," I am a firm believer in Case Keenum and his ability to make clutch plays. That being said, Nick Foles is holding his own, making plays and winning games, in the place of Carson Wentz, who is out for the season.

The real star of the Viking's season this year has been their defense, coming up big when the chips were down. The Eagles are extremely balanced this year, with notable weapons on offense and defense. With both teams Superbowless in their respective franchises, either seems worthy of finally getting to hoist the Lombardi. The only question is, which one?

Vikings: Once again, bring the defense. The Vikings need every defensive position ready to face an attack from all angles and hold the line. With opponents like Jay Ajayi by ground and Zach Ertz by air, the only advice I can offer is "do your job" and let the offense do its thing.

Players needing to step up: Case Keenum, your number has been called, your team needs you. You've come up big for your team once, and now they need you to do it again. People are projecting this to be an epic duel of quarterbacks, let's hope you show up.

Eagles: You've got the crew, you've got the ability, now just play like we know you can. You've proved to every team in the league that even without your starting quarterback, you can still threaten even the most capable team. with so many positions performing so spectacularly all season long, there's no reason you shouldn't continue to do so.

Players needing to step up: Nick Foles, you have quite a mountain in front of you, but if you can lead your team to victory in this game, there's no reason for anyone to doubt you in the Superbowl. In this championship, the winner is whoever wants it the most, so why shouldn't it be you?

This disclaimer probably should have come earlier, but I am obviously no professional. I can't crunch numbers like the professionals on ESPN, and I don't follow every team all season long. I can only comment on what you and I see here and now, and make my own judgments based on it. Well, I guess the only thing left to say is thank you for sticking with me this far, and onward to Sunday!