Repeat After Me: Sunglasses Are For Me

Repeat After Me: Sunglasses Are For Me

Here’s why you should be wearing sunglasses everyday.

100
Repeat After Me: Sunglasses Are For Me
stocksy.com

Wearing sunglasses makes you feel as if you're living in a private mode on LinkedIn or scrolling through a person's profile carefully to avoid liking a post. You can look at people without them knowing! A good pair of sunglasses is comparable to sporting a new hairstyle and even a new makeup product.

But there are more advantages to wearing shades than freedom in terms of fashion sense.

Here are a few reasons why you should always wear sunglasses for outdoor activities (including driving!) during the day:

Similar to getting a sunburn, you could suffer from an eye burn, medically known as photokeratitis. This condition is characterized by pain in the eyes when they experience prolonged exposure to ultraviolet rays without protection. A few remedies you could consider are placing a cool, wet washcloth over your eyes to soothe them, take ibuprofen for more severe burns, or temporarily avoid putting in your contact lens. Photokeratitis usually dies down within two days, though there can be slight discomfort for up to a week.

Without sunglasses, the skin around your eyes could prematurely age! The skin surrounding your eyes are naturally thin, much thinner than other patches of the body. Thin skin makes itself an easy target for UV rays, leading to wrinkles.

An argument against wearing sunglasses is that they cause an unnecessary strain on the eyes. When you wear sunglasses, you force your eyes to operate under a tint. Because of this filter, your eyes may become more easily fatigued. The easiest way to avoid eye fatigue is to make certain that your sunglasses are the perfect fit. Invest in glasses not just for fashion, but to block UV light. This means identifying the frame and lens that fit your lifestyle. If you spend an excessive amount of time under the sun (ex. an athlete training outdoors), then purchase a pair of wraparound sunglasses as opposed to traditional sunglasses.

Darker sunglasses shades block brighter lights. You'll need darker shades for skiing and lighter shades for driving. The color of the shades also matter! A gray tint won't distort true colors as much, as they only alleviate brightness. A set of amber or brown sunglasses will block blue light, giving you better visibility on cloudy days. This is especially important because blue light can cause macular degeneration. This type of vision loss is irreversible due to permanent damage to the retina.

Don't associate sunglasses with summer and the beach! Eye protection is vital even on a cloudy winter day. Ultraviolet exposure isn't seasonal, it's perennial.