Summer: You're Amazing, But You Do Come With A Lot of Pressure

Summer may seem like a magical time of year, but that isn't always the case.

88
Pexels.com via Porapak Apichodilok

Summer: the time of year that is filled with endless possibilities and seems as though it goes on forever. It's a time where every kid, teen or college student (and even teachers) finally have time to relax and do everything they can't during the rest of the year. Along with the hot weather comes a fever for doing incredible things, some that may even seem out of the ordinary or simply impossible.

Although these all sound like amazing attributes, it is also important to notice the opposing side of the season that is deemed as "the best" by many.

While summer is filled with the mysteries of what's to come, it also consists of this enormous amount of pressure to make it as perfect as it can be. Whether this expectation has originated from the summer romance novels or road-trip movies we all seem to love, the thoughts of adventure and summer have always gone hand-in-hand. Doing crazy things with your best friends or going on some sort of trip with them is always an immediate aspiration, but there is always a longing for a summer romance to spontaneously ensue when you least expect it. These things may be fun to think about, but how many times do all these plans actually fall through in the end?

It also may seem like summer goes on forever, but it really doesn't. While kids usually have 90 days of summer vacation (Phineas and Ferb, I don't know where your 104 came from), college students tend to have a month more to soak up the early-summer vibes. While three or four months is still a long time to do a lot of fun things, it still does go by fast when you're having fun.

People also tend to overbook their summer with so many things because it seems like they have all the time in the world to catch up on them or complete everything they want to. College students spend their time either taking an extra 3 credit course or take on a job and others plan a vacation (sometimes more than one). Especially if someone has both of these things to balance and still has their bucket list to complete, the summer can seem like any other time of the year.

And that's the thing- at the end of the day, summer is (sadly) just another season of the year. It's a given name to the warmest time of the year, and while it may be associated with wanderlust and spontaneity, it is just a season filled with humidity and sweat.

Take it from a girl who has deemed summer as her favorite season all her life and has her birthday right in the beginning of July: summer definitely comes with the pressure of making it something memorable. This season only comes around once a year, and everyone is a year older and has had a year's worth of growth and new experiences. The stakes for summer, then, get higher with each passing year so they can top the last in some monumental way. In some cases, this can really make the summer seem daunting and just straight-up irritating.

So Summer, you will always be loved by the youth and many others throughout their lives (including myself), but that still doesn't deter the fact that you will also always come with a lot of pressure to make you as perfect as you can be.