11 Tips When Applying for a Summer Internship

Some have them some dont

8453

While it may seem super early, it is important to start searching and applying now to make sure you will have an internship this summer that you actually enjoy. These 11 tips will help to make your internship search a successful one.

1. Cover letters are extremely important.

Sometimes an employer might only glance at your resume and focus on reading your cover letter. Make sure to fill it with useful information that can show your personality to an employer.

2. Proofread your cover letters at least twice.

A misspelling or mistake in a cover letter could cost you the internship. Taking the extra five minutes to reread or having someone else read your cover letter can ensure that you have minimal mistakes.

3. Google searches are good, but searching individual companies is better.

Going to a company website and doing a job search can be more helpful in narrowing down an internship that you are interested in applying for than simply doing a generic Internet search.

4. Expect to get rejections.

Rejection letters are in no way fun, but try to keep your spirits up. What is supposed to happen, will happen.

5. Be open to moving somewhere for the summer.

Some internships offer a housing stipend so that students can travel to the company headquarters and live there during the summer. This is a great way to test out a new environment — just try to have an open mind.

6. Be open to the idea that your internship may be unpaid.

While an unpaid internship may sound less than ideal, sometimes you need an unpaid internship in order to gain invaluable experience that can extremely help build up your resume.

7. Don't be afraid to reach out to the hiring agent.

If you are given the contact information of someone reviewing your internship application, feel free to shoot them an email or a quick phone call. It shows that you are interested in the position, and they are more likely to remember you.

8. Have all your documents updated and in order.

Make sure your resume is up to date as well as a transcript if that is needed so that you only have to submit one to a company.

9. Sell yourself.

If you have a chance to fill in answers for questions in an application, promote yourself. Show off what clubs you are involved in at school so that the company knows how well rounded you are.

10. Be honest about whether you are a good fit for a company or not.

You do not want to end up stuck at company you dislike for an entire summer, so make sure you honestly see yourself working there and appreciating what you are doing.

11. It's okay to not have an internship right now.

Some of my super prepared friends already have internships, and it is important to remember that everyone is on their own timeline. If you don't get an internship now, you  still may get one later on down the road.