Lessons In Moving Out And Moving On I Learned The Summer Before College
Life Stages

10 Lessons In Moving Out And Moving On I Learned The Summer Before College

Time flies by when you're having fun.

105
Ashley Cunigan

It seems so surreal to think that my dreams are finally becoming reality. In just a few days I'll be moving to a new city, meeting new friends, and making new memories. My summer before freshman year has definitely been a roller coaster ride, but I am so thankful for the experiences that have prepared me to be a successful college student in the fall. Below are a few of the lessons I learned from moving out at 18 and finding time to have an enjoyable summer.

1. Going On A Road Trip With Your Besties Is The Best Decision You’ll Make

Twelve hours after graduation I had the opportunity to drive to Panama City and spend a few days at my best friend's condo right on the water. No parents. No curfew. No schedule. It was the best vacation of my life. I highly recommend taking some time out of your summer to catch up with your friends before everyone moves off to college. Grab a beach towel, fill up on gas, and you're ready to go!

2. Reading God’s Word Is Good For The Soul

Every week I try to sit down and make a plan for what I think are the most important tasks for me to accomplish. Once I complete my list, I like to pray and thank God for the gifts he has awarded me to fulfill his master plan. Reading the Bible and taking a few minutes to focus on God while drinking morning coffee has been my go-to this summer.

3. Birmingham, AL Is a Beautiful City

While from a small town in north Alabama, I moved to Birmingham in mid-June in order to search for greater job opportunities. I am so grateful for my sister and her husband allowing me to live with them and explore the Magic City. Being five minutes away from Railroad Park, Regions Field, and Steel City Pops isn't too shabby.

4. Working Two Jobs Is A Lot Harder Than It Looks

Having nearly a month off for vacation, I almost forgot what it was like to have responsibilities. Four weeks after applying to everywhere on Indeed.com, I was called for five interviews in four days. While it seemed like I would never find a summer job, I was left with three part-time offers and amazing connections. I surely hope all those hours sending in resumes and working customer service taught me something.

5. Money Does Not Grow On Trees - Though We All Wish It Did

Moving out at 18 might seem like a good idea until you realize that Chick-fil-A and Target will steal all your money. I understand now that there are plenty of items I use on a daily basis and didn't think too much about when my parents were paying for them. It wasn't too long that I learned how to budget my money wisely to pay for the monthly phone bill and save up for college expenses.

6. Make Time For Family Dinners

While no longer living with my parents or younger siblings, I miss Monday night meatloaf and mac-n-cheese. Never underestimate the importance of a homemade meal. It's hard for me to believe I'll really be living on my own in two weeks. Hang on to your love ones a little more tightly with the time you have left.

7. Netflix Addiction Is A Real Thing

OK, yes, I finally admit it. Nothing makes me happier than taking a hot shower, cuddling up on the couch and rewatching Riverdale episodes to fill up on teenage drama. There have been too many occasions where I've had to physically stop myself from clicking the play button so that I would get enough sleep to wake up for my alarm. It's summer though, right? Make sure to watch Netflix in moderation and catch up on the latest shows so you'll be ready for season three in October.

8. There’s So Much To Do And Not Enough Time To Do It In

You know those cute summer bucket lists you find on Pinterest and wish to fulfill every summer? Well I hate to burst your bubble but not everyone's vacations fall at the same time. Be realistic when making plans with your friends and call ahead to make sure they are in town. Soon enough you all will be starting new journeys at different schools and making new friends. Make the most of the time you have.

9. Go Dorm Shopping Early

If there's one thing I learned about preparing for college, it's to be sure you start buying supplies early. Seriously, I'm suppose to move in 12 days and still don't have my mattress topper or any command strips. Save yourself some time and headache by making a checklist and looking out for the sales. I highly suggest shopping on Tax Free Weekend and taking advantage of Amazon Prime Day.

10. The Countdown To College Becomes More Real Everyday

Visiting campus and setting up classes at orientation was one thing. Getting ready for move-in and buying football packages is another. As much as I'm ready to move to Tuscaloosa, I hope I can look back on this summer and realize how easy I had it. The real world is about to hit soon, and I can't wait to see what God has in store for my future at Alabama. As always, Roll Tide!