The summer before college

the summer before college as told by the fresh prince of bel air

Can you tell Will Smith is my idol?

99
Natalia Carbuccia

It is finally here, the summer you have been waiting for. The summer where you don't have to continue the cycle of ending those three months of bliss by returning to high school. This is the summer you and I alike have been preparing for. We are finally adults...kind of. But one thing is for sure, we are ready to go out with a bang. Whether we are leaving and going far from our hometowns or staying local at our community colleges, we only have a few short weeks to run rampant and say goodbye to what seems like a past life; and so in the words of Will Smith, "Yo homes smell ya later!"

We waited four years for a one hour ceremony.

https://giphy.com/gifs/the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-police-67oFFIVlcWM6Y

Graduation marks the beginning of the end. On that stage we stood in our caps and gowns riddled with excitement because we had built up this moment so highly in our head. Then the hour goes by, we receive that piece of paper that signifies freedom and that's it. Yup. That is all. Four years for a piece of paper and pictures in an oversize smock. With that being said, don't let the feeling of being underwhelmed undermine this accomplishment. You survived and that's all that really matters.

Realizing you’ll probably never get in trouble with a teacher again.

https://giphy.com/gifs/hmm-hmmm-l14qxlCgJ0zUk

There are a lot of rules in high school. Can’t wear hats. No phones in class. Fingertip length shorts. But if those rules are obsolete now that means no more getting in trouble for breaking them.

Seeing your bff at a party.

https://giphy.com/gifs/fresh-prince-throwblock-my-wife-and-kids-HX3lSnGXZnaWk

I chalk this up to be one of the greatest feelings ever. In a sea of people and over the blaring music, you see your best friend and immediately run straight to them. Now that high school is over, you have no more classes with them, no more secret meet ups in the halls -- you both are moving forward and if your paths towards the future are separating you two then this is the time to make as many memories as possible.

Goodbye isn’t really goodbye.

https://giphy.com/gifs/intense-UKUkoPR8tYWGY

In that moment we think it is. We say goodbye to our teachers, our friends and guidance counselors and in that second it is emotionally real. What you will come to find out is that it's not. You will see those friends at some party next week. You will see those teachers in the line at Shop Rite and you will see those guidance counselors again sooner or later. It is not a farewell to these people, just the experiences you endured with them.

It is time to reclaim our mornings.

https://giphy.com/gifs/fresh-prince-of-bel-air-nick-at-nite-26FPzOcP0SaXoVsIg

​Mornings are finally ours again. Whether we want to sleep in or hit the beach, the choice is ultimately ours. There is no more waking up to sit through seven hour school days. Delete your alarms, grab your beach bag or your blankets and take your early mornings back!

It isn’t all fun and games.

https://giphy.com/gifs/head-over-united-d9LvwehzVWmt2

​The summer before college can also prove to be very stressful. You’re getting ready to embark on your next academic adventure and whether you are saving money or filling out last minute paperwork, be sure to prioritize and put your responsibilities first.

But you’re not actually an adult yet, so don't stress too much.

https://giphy.com/gifs/james-avery-gif-IYcXTDme1ZPMI

This is where I begin to blame fictional books and TV shows for giving me this false sense of reality. Everyone and their mother (literally your own mother) is going to burst your bubble and tell you what a child you still are. Whether you still have a curfew or your parents nag you about where you're going, consider your bubble to be bursted beyond belief. Adult is a pretty strong word and though we are making some pretty mature decisions, we're still just kids and the only difference is that now we have a diploma.

Seeing all the underclassmen excited for senior year.

https://giphy.com/gifs/will-smith-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-axsaOxqCQAjT2

We are handing down the title of senior and it is officially their time to shine... or so they think. Little do they know, senior year is filled with some of the most stressful endeavors of one's high school career. It is also filled with some of the best moments that turn to memories in the blink of an eye, but we'll let them figure that out for themselves. They inherit the right to rule the school because we are off to rule much more.

Packing for college is such a foreign concept.

https://giphy.com/gifs/fresh-prince-of-bel-air-wzS3eh7p1Kqsg

You mean to tell me a pack of highlighters and a three subject notebook isn't enough? We are entering new territory of preparing for school. It feels like we're packing our bags and trying fit our entire lives into them. We buy supplies and decorations for our dorms all while convincing ourselves that we absolutely NEED to pack that one t-shirt we still have from freshman year.

Every now and then we think of the real goodbyes we’ll have to say.

Whether it be to your friends who are going far or if you are going far yourself, every now and then in the midst of summer joy, you think of how it’ll come to an end. The goodbyes will be real, at least for now and some of us are excited while others might be nervous but we will all cross that bridge when we get there. For now, appreciate these moments and look forward to them turning into memories.

Will Smith also once said, “Don't be hanging with no jank a** jokers that don't help you shine." This summer, be sure to surround yourself with the people who make you smile and those whose support for you never ceased. Be safe and responsible all while cherishing this summer. Make memories to tuck in your back pocket for those moments that come in the fall where you need a piece of home.