This Summer Was Perfect - Not Because Of What I Accomplished, But What I Learned

This summer was not by any means exciting, but it was what I needed.

2623
Photo by Fuu J on Unsplash

This summer was not by any means exciting.

It was made up of long days of working at a mall and sleeping into the afternoon when I could. I did not get to the beach like I wanted, nor did I have that movie-like summer road trip with a group of friends.

The most exciting part of my summer was the late night drives to Taco-Bell or Arby's.

Like I said, my summer was not amazing. But, it doesn't mean it was a waste of a summer.

It may not have been the break I wanted, but it was the break I needed. Within the span of a few months, I have changed so much.

For the first time, I have met a part of me that I didn't know existed.

She is a lot more social and has this dedication to meet strangers. She styles her clothes based on what makes her feel the most happy. She is this ever-growing part of me that yearns to meet the sun.

She is like a flower blooming from the ground with each passing day.

This part of me has developed because there was no reason to tie her down. It was the first summer where my only focus was on myself. There were no worries about the people around me and there were no responsibilities to be concerned about.

I had the summer to just grow.

I will admit I am not finished growing. I know the years will go by and changes will occur. But, in this moment, this newfound part of me is the most exciting yet.

Never in my life have I felt the need to let such a part of me out into the world. But, the excitement that fills me as I begin to learn more about who I am is the perfect reason.