8 Things Commuters Don't Know They Need

8 Things Commuters Don't Know They Need

Hint: It's not $300 textbooks

175
bibb graves jsu

From the collective wisdom of experienced commuters, I have compiled a list of things you may agree you need. Don't find yourself stuck on campus uncomfortable or just unhappy. Planning ahead will help you make every class day the best possible. Take the tips that work for you and make them your own. With experimentation, you will discover what makes your commute and class days easy and stress-free. Seize the day, y'all!

Rolling backpack

Buy one on Amazon.

I know what you're thinking and you're wrong. Just hear me out!

Reconstruction is ongoing and with a greater ratio of commuters to campus dwellers driving to class, parking will be at a premium for the Fall 2018 semester. The possibility of having to walk further than normal, at least occasionally, is looking pretty good.

With your trusty rolling backpack, you can park in one location and take everything you'll need for the day with you. You'll have room for your wallet, books, laptop, drink, pencils, pens, highlighters, notebooks, phone, chargers, headphones, an umbrella, your jacket, a snack, your makeup bag, gaming system, planner...whatever you consider a need.

Because these wheeled wonders can be pulled with ease, you'll be able to move around campus without straining your back and walk longer distances without getting tired. When you do want to wear your backpack, the wheels get tucked into their own little cover so your clothes stay clean.

Back to what you were thinking. This is college. No one cares how you carry your books! No one cares if you show up to class in pajama pants and Pikachu slides, for that matter. Make yourself (and your back) happy.

On a related note, if you have time between your classes, you can ride the Gamecock Express across campus and save your energy for a workout at the rec center. Watch the bus schedule carefully and use the app to track its location so you won't miss it or be late to class.

A wheeled backpack need not be a huge expense. A cheaper version will do the same job (likely minus the warranty). You can also find really good buys at discount chains such as Ross and TJ Maxx.

Stainless steel cup

Buy one on Amazon.

Do you love a hot cup of coffee? Do you enjoy water only when it's ice cold? Do you ever sit in class and wish you had a cold glass of sweet tea? Well this, my friends, is the answer. Get yourself any stainless steel cup with a slider or snap close lid to avoid spills. The 20 oz size fits perfectly in a backpack side pocket and it will keep your drink cold or hot for hours.

Hint: You can buy ice and drink refills at the TMB Food Court or Jazzman's Cafe in Houston Cole. You can choose from a wide selection of self-pour coffee at Jazzman's, too. Never be thirsty again! A great bonus is that you'll be reducing environmental waste by using fewer paper cups and plastic bottles.

Hoodie

Buy one on Amazon.

It is an unwritten requisite for all college students to own a hoodie with their school logo on it. Or at least to own a hoodie in general.

Hoodies aren't just great for keeping the chill away while walking between classes, they are super cozy when the classroom is unusually cold (as they sometimes are). The hood can also act as noise cancellation or block the light should you decide to take a quick nap in a quiet area or simply zone out for a few minutes.

Personal care bag

Buy one on Amazon.

Have you ever been in class and realized that your lips are uncomfortably dry and chapped or you have a jagged nail that catches on something everytime you move? Annoying and distracting, right?

Carry a small bag that contains portable sizes of essentials you may need such as moisturizing lip balm, hand sanitizer, mini pack of tissues, nail file, deodorant, mini body spray, breath mints or spray, cough drops, hair ties, feminine care products, or mini packs of medications.

Eventually, you will need one of those items and you will be very glad you have it with you.

Planner

Buy one on Amazon.

Since you're commuting, chances are that you also have the responsibilities that come along with a job and family. Keeping track of classes, assignments, exams, bills, grocery lists, birthdays, parties, and more can be overwhelming. A planner can help you keep track of it all and prevent something important from falling between the cracks.

You may find that writing your must-do list in both your planner and your phone's calendar is helpful because you'll have the benefit of notifications from your phone.

Make a point to add due dates and important details to at least one of your calendars right when you are told. Not all professors utilize Blackboard (or put all of their assignments up), so being proactive about adding to your calendar will save you stress and frustration later. Be sure to check both calendars occasionally to be certain that all your must-dos are in both places.

If you are a nursing major, you may like the Big Beautiful Planner better than standard versions. It includes monthly and weekly fields, as well as pages for group projects, bills owed/ paid, birthdays, personal wellness, and more. The pages are headed with facts that are important for nursing majors to know, a nice touch that makes this functional planner a little more special.

Umbrella

Buy one on Amazon.

When rain is in the forecast, an umbrella can save you from spending an entire class period wet and cold. A travel umbrella will fit perfectly in a cup holder on your backpack and some even fold up small enough to fit in your hoodie pocket. It's an inexpensive investment that will save you misery and maybe even gain you a friend if there's room for two.

Emergency roadside kit

Buy one on Amazon.

You never know when you or someone else will need jumper cables or a tool to make a minor repair. Keep an inexpensive emergency roadside kit in your car just in case and it will save you a lot of time and worry should you ever need help.

Speaking of roadside assistance, be sure you have the number of your insurance carrier or cell phone provider's roadside assistance in your contacts. Put UPD in your contacts, too, for campus emergencies.

Emergency money

Make a point to put aside a little emergency money for unexpected expenses. You'll find there are occasional needs that will have you digging for change underneath the seat of your car if you aren't prepared. Those half dozen Scantrons and Blue Books aren't going to buy themselves, yo! Besides, it never hurts to have a few extra Chick Fil A dollars, you know, just in case.

Please note that all items are in stock as of the time of publication. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.