5 Benefits Of Studying Abroad

5 Benefits Of Studying Abroad

If you're on the fence, this will help you decide.

561

University's throughout the United States have many tools and resources to help their students in every way, shape or form. They offer them opportunities that many take for granted, like volunteer jobs, internships and of course studying abroad. Whether you spend a whole year or just a semester abroad you get to learn more about yourself and about the world than you would have ever imagined. As someone who has study abroad myself, I can confidently say that studying abroad has shaped me to be more equipped in my everyday life and in the professional world.

1. It's a great conversation starter.

Just by mentioning that you study abroad, you immediately capture the attention of everyone around you. I have lost count on the amount times that the subject has come up during the conversation, whether it was brought up casually or someone has asked me personally. Studying abroad is not only relatable to others but it is a great icebreaker to get to know someone besides the basic facts that are said in everyday conversation.

2. Expanding your knowledge.

Going abroad teaches you experiences that your campus simply cannot. Regardless of what your interest are, going abroad will give you insights on different cultures and you will grow to not only love and enjoy new interest but it also makes you more appreciative of your culture.

3. Friendships like none other.

One of the things that scared me the most about going abroad was the fact that I was going without any of my friends. A million thoughts were running through my mind, like if I was going to get along with anyone, but it's safe to say that regardless if people go with their friends or not everyone is on the same page, wanting to meet and create new friendships. Now I share this amazing experience with some of the most incredible people I have ever met and because we share the same memories, we will always be connected in a special way.

4. Travel trotter.

Going abroad automatically implies that you will be traveling. A lot. One of the most exciting aspects is going to a new place every weekend and the best part of traveling in Europe is that it is affordable and it can take you to a whole new country in just a couple hours.

5. New experiences of a lifetime.

If you know anyone that has had the opportunity to study abroad then I am sure you have heard them say, endlessly, how much going abroad has changed them. But it is true, going abroad changes people. Not only does it teach you new things but it leads one to want to know more about what the world has to offer.

If you ever get the opportunity to study abroad take it! Once you are there you'll never want to come back. I have never met a single person that has gone and came back saying that they hated it. For many, it may just be the highlight of their college career, but don't just stop there, make the most of it and you'll see how far you can go.