8 Places To Visit If You're Stuck In Connecticut For The Summer

It may seem impossible, but I swear Connecticut can be fun if you look in the right places.

86

Connecticut definitely isn’t the most exciting place to stay during the summer months. You can only go to those Long Island Sound beaches so many times before they lose the little appeal they once had altogether. The mall that’s closest to wherever you live probably gets painfully redundant after a while too, especially if you’re going at a ratio that exceeds when the stores are getting new shipments. Chain restaurants have been visited a thousand times and so have all the plazas within a reasonable driving distance from where you are. Once in a while, a new place will open in town, and that will be exhilarating for a short time, but it will become overkill alarmingly soon (example: when Cumberland Farms opened in Ansonia, and it was like Disney World came to the Naugatuck Valley).

Connecticut is typically viewed in a sense that screams suburban prepster’s wet dream. Bleak, I know. However, there are a few less talked about places that offer temporary reprieve. Here are a handful to get you started on your wild summer in The Nutmeg State:

1. New Haven

I know, I know. New Haven seems pretty broad. There is so much to see and do in this city, that I can’t possibly encapsulate it all in any other way than just “New Haven.” Most people I know are actually afraid of New Haven due to its high crime rate, but what they don’t take into consideration is the culture and small businesses the city of New Haven has to offer. The Festival of Arts and Ideas will be taking place on the Green from June 10 to June 25, which consists of a little over two weeks worth of artists coming from all over the world to showcase their creations. If you’re an art enthusiast, you can also check out the Yale University Art Gallery, which is free and open to the public. The architecture of the Yale area in itself is enough for aesthetic satisfaction. Want to channel your inner adventurer or keep children entertained? Check out the IT indoor ropes course at Jordan’s furniture, the largest of its kind in the world. If you haven’t seen it yet, you’ll be amazed at the level of fun that can lay within a furniture store.

As if this isn’t enough to attract visitors, the dining options in New Haven are incredible. They boast the beautiful Shake Shack, one of only two in Connecticut. There’s also Claire’s Corner Copia, a gourmet vegetarian restaurant that sells some of the best cupcakes I’ve ever tasted. You can check out the variety of food trucks along Long Wharf, and make sure you don’t forget to see the unique Jitter Bus that specializes in coffee. Don’t even get me started on the pizza. If you haven’t had New Haven pizza, I don’t think you’re qualified to judge any other type of pizza until you’ve tasted the masterpiece offered by places like Modern and Pepe’s. The line for these restaurants is usually out the door, if that’s any indication of the high quality pizza. There is a diverse cultural representation of food choices in New Haven, with Indian places such as Thali and great Mexican, Thai, Middle Eastern and Chinese options. So if you’re ever looking for a place to eat, consider New Haven’s plethora of dining choices before you head to Chili’s.

2. Donut Crazy

The Donut Crazy on River Road in Shelton sure as heck knows how to donut. The first time I stepped foot inside this place, I regressed back to 5 years old. The variety of donuts ranges from your classics like frosting and sprinkles and Boston cream to specialties like the Fat Elvis — a raised yeast shell donut stuffed with banana cream custard and topped with peanut butter, bananas, honey, bacon bits and a drizzle of chocolate. Naturally, coffee and beverages are served as well. Donut Crazy will stand by faithfully to satisfy your sweet tooth this summer.

3. Prime Club and Mountain Fun

Prime Club in Wallingford features indoor rock climbing gyms for both beginners and experienced climbers. Mountain Fun is more of a place for children to have fun climbing, great for boring days over the summer when the weather prohibits outdoor activity. It’s also reasonably priced — a day pass is $15, plus an additional $7 for equipment rental. On Monday nights, the day pass is only $10 and equipment rental is $5. This is a great place to try out climbing or bring the kids for something new to do.

4. The Stomping Ground

The Stomping Ground in Putnam is more than just a bar – it’s an experience. This venue is done up in interesting décor and offers good beer and good food. What more could you possibly want? If you're eager to show off your talent or let your freak flag fly, The Stomping Ground offers open mic nights every Sunday at 7pm. A diverse medley of musicians and artists perform there on most weeknights and weekends. This dive offers refreshing exposure to local talent you may not have known existed and a fun space to enjoy a relaxed night out with friends and family.

5. The Westfarms Mall

Get your wallet ready – it will be hard to resist spending money at Westfarms. This shopping mall in West Hartford features a mix of high-end shopping and more affordable retailers so there’s something for everyone. Even if you don’t want to spend money, it’s fun to just walk around and window shop. This mall has a California Pizza Kitchen – a restaurant that’s absolutely delicious and hard to come by in this state. It also offers a handful of alternative dining options. Westfarms is a great way to spend the day if you’ve had a little too much of the beach this summer and could use a wardrobe pick-me-up.

6. The Maritime Aquarium and South Norwalk

Who doesn’t love a good day drifting through exotic fish? At the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk you can catch a movie in IMAX and pet animals in the aquarium’s touch tank. You can also cruise the sound and learn more about the sea life that inhabits it. Afterwards, you can check out all that downtown South Norwalk has to offer. Among these places is Chocopologie, a chocolate wonderland where you can sit and enjoy a sweet treat. Norwalk can make for a pretty fun day to change-up the regular old summer routine.

7. Greenwich Avenue

This strip is great for a scenic shopping trip with a quaint, village vibe. There are so many fabulous stores lined up on this street, such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Vineyard Vines, Brandy Melville, Apple, and more. Summer is a great time to shop, but let’s be honest, shopping is a year round deal. If you ever want to switch things up from your local retailers, Greenwich Ave will definitely satisfy your consumer needs.

8. Lighthouse Point Park

Lighthouse Point Park in East Haven is still technically a beach, but it is so much more. It has a carousel that you can ride to feel like your life is some indie summer film. Weddings and other events are always happening here so you have a good chance of catching the beauty of one of those if you stop by this destination. The actual lighthouse is a sight worth seeing in its own. This is a great place to escape to breathe in the summer air and take in the serenity of the Long Island sound at sunset.

Now that you have a few options to check out, don’t feel like your summer is destined to be dull solely because it will be spent in Connecticut. There’s a good chance you can discover some new places and keep yourself entertained throughout the summer months if you just give this tiny state a chance. Maybe you’ll find it isn’t so bad after all.