To The Struggling College Student, Remember To Take Time For Yourself

There's only so much you can take before you break.

135

Hey, you there, trying to keep your head up and swallow that lump in your throat as you look at your planner, which is jam-packed with events, homework and god knows what else you have to do that week, take a breath.

Take a second to sit back, close your eyes and chill out for a second. Open Facebook. Scroll through Instagram. Listen to music. Do whatever it is that makes you happy, and do it over and over again. Because you'll need it.

Overloading yourself and taking on more than you can handle is not good for you. It can cause you to feel overwhelmed, lose sleep, break out, throw off your cycle and gain weight if you stress eat.

Having a breakdown over stress is the worst: you cry for literally every reason under the sun, and it's not a soft cry, it's an ugly Kim Kardashian like cry because you've been keeping your emotions bottled up for so long. And the worst part is, you're so exhausted when it's over that all you want to do is take a nap.

I know what it's like to overwhelm yourself. I know what it's like to put too much on your plate and not want to slip up and admit you can't do it all. You want to do it all because you want to be a team player, you want to be dependable, and show the world what you're made of, but sometimes, you can't.

If you know you're going to be busy that week with your English paper, calc test, sports stuff and having to read some chapters for another class, don't take on another project because you want to be the hero. It's only going to hurt you in the end, and there's only so much we can take before we break.

Allow yourself a little time each night, even if it's only a few minutes, to reflect on the day's events and prepare for what's coming up tomorrow. Go to bed early for once at 9 instead of 10. Do a face mask. Watch music videos. Listen to your favorite band, something to take your mind off things for a little while.

I've been there - feeling so overwhelmed that you break down and feel drained because you have no energy left. It's the worst feeling in the world, and I've had trouble learning from the past because I overwhelm myself sometimes, but you have to remember to take some time out for yourself. It'll be worth it in the end.