Strong & Independent American Girls As 2016 Millennials- Part 1

The real truth about your favorite doll friends.

244
American girl google

I love American Girl dolls. Always have, always will.

Not only do the girls who play with them have the opportunity to create stories and settings for them to live in, but they also have books written about them. Their stories are filled with fierce young girls who were loyal to the people that they love. They were passionate about writing, animals, humanitarian aid, and so many other areas of interest.

The other day I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and saw an article titled "What Your American Girl Doll Would Be Like As A 2016 Millennial". The little girl in me had a super geeky moment and excitedly clicked the link.

As I read through the article, my face fell. Rather than spinning a beautiful story of strong, independent women, the author shoved these characters into the Millennial stereotypes that we typically hear from the generations above us. Our beloved dolls have become druggies, hoes, and social media obsessed airheads.

Where were the passions and the interests that the characters once had? Did those disappear as soon as they became Millennials?

These characters have so much personality, and I want to add that back to who they are as Millennials in 2016.

Here goes nothin'.

Samantha Parkington

Samantha has always been known for being kind, compassionate, bright, and generous. After discovering that she is a talented speaker in Samantha Learns a Lesson, she decided to use that gift to help other people. As a 20-year-old college student, she spends her days at Harvard University. Pursuing a degree in communications, she plans on she plans on working with Feeding America as one of their spokeswomen.

Even though Nellie, Bridget, Jenny, and Samantha are all busy, they still keep in contact and meet up at their home base with Uncle Gard and Aunt Cornelia whenever they can. Samantha still wants to follow in the footsteps of her mother Lydia to become a painter, so she took a few watercolor classes in college. If she can find a few free moments, she still loves reading.

Molly McIntire

Once a dancer, always a dancer. After fighting her hardest to maintain good grades in the subjects that she enjoys and her least favorite subject (math), she chose not to attend college. Molly now teaches dance classes at the studio that she grew up dancing in. Happily reunited with her family, Molly still chooses to live at home so that she can spend every free moment with the ones that she loves.

She also vlogs about life as a dancer and modeling a healthy lifestyle and balance while dancing. Molly loves sharing her knowledge in that slightly unconventional way.

Kit Kittredge

Never one for girlie trends, Kit is thankful for the return of overalls and flannels to the Millennial fashion scene. It makes her life much more pleasant when she is sitting at her typewriter pounding out an article, or working on her latest project. She has a MacBook, of course, but she stills loves the look of the typewriter. Kit was in college but took a year off to figure out where she is going in life.

At the moment, Kit takes any jobs that she can get. Freelancing, blogs, newspaper articles, etc- anything that will pay the bills. On the side, Kit is working on a spin-off of her favorite book Robin Hood. She feels a little lost somedays, but is trying not to get too irritable about not knowing what her life plans are.

Kirsten Larson

Kirsten's entrepreneurial spirit and her kind heart led her to start a business teaching classes to young children about nature and the wildlife found there in Minnesota. Growing up she learned to overcome her shyness when she is passionate about a subject. Kirsten loves taking the classroom to the outdoors. After they tour some of the area, and maybe see a few deer or squirrels, the students end at Kirsten's honey bee farm to learn about the ethical care of animals.

Children leave with a newfound love for nature, and Kirsten can't wait to share her passion for this job with her fiancee (soon-to-be-husband). For now, Snapchat will have to keep him posted on the happenings in her life and the wildlife around her.

Stay tuned for part 2!!!