11 Qualities Of The Proverbs 31 Woman We Should Strive Towards

“Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.”

902
7 Themes

Growing into the person we want to be isn't always easy or straightforward. I'm pretty positive I wouldn't say anybody is perfect, and I am completely positive that I certainly am not. That doesn't mean I don't think about what I need to improve in order to get me a little closer.

The woman described in Proverbs 31 is something I strive to become more and more like every day. It can relate to women of all walks of life, whether you're career driven, a mom, a sister, a girlfriend, or a friend-- encompassing these qualities described in Proverbs 31 is something we should all strive to accomplish within our personal growth.

1. Trustworthy

Relationships are founded on trust, without this so many problems arise. Whether it's something as serious as being trusted to stay faithful or as simple as remembering to lock the front door -- trust is an essential trait we should all strive to earn from our partner. Strive to be trusted by other people in our lives too, whether it's a friend trusting you to be there for them or a stranger trusting you to treat them with respect.

"The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain." Proverbs 31:11

2. Good Hearted

I don't believe there is any better quality in someone than being able to feel and see their goodness. Of course, we are all tempted on a regular basis to stray away from pure goodness, but we can remind ourselves to work on being the best versions of ourselves. Being a truly good person is inspiring to those around us, and encourages that behavior in return.

"She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:12

3. Hard Working

Many times it's mistaken that the Bible encourages a woman to strictly stay home and care for the family-- but that's not the case. Providing for your family is one thing, but how you do that is up to you. Work hard and use the talents God has given you. Don't have a husband and kids? No problem-- providing for yourself is just as important.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands. She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar." Proverbs 31:13-14

4. Productive

It's so easy to snooze our alarms over, and over again. Instead of sleeping away the morning, get up after that first alarm goes off. Take that time to make a breakfast, get an early morning workout in or do work on something you love but haven't been finding time to do-- whatever is missing from your days can be squeezed in with a little bit of an early wake-up call. Most likely it will be more rewarding than that extra hour of sleep.

"She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household." Proverbs 31:15

5. Ambitious

Don't be afraid to go after what you want. Often we make excuses for why we can't do something or worry about what could go wrong. Instead, discover what you want and tackle it.

"She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard." Proverbs 31:16

6. Strong

Nobody wants to be weak, in any sense of the word. We want to be strong when it comes to everything. We want to handle anything life throws at us, be strong in our faith and have strong relationships. Strength is something you, and those around you, will be able to depend on throughout life.

"She dresses herselfwith strength and makes her arms strong." Proverbs 31:17

7. Generous

We can't take anything with us in the end, so why not practice generosity? It's not even just about being generous when it comes to money. Be generous with your time, talents and love -- it will make a difference for you and others.

"She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy." Proverbs 31:20

8. Authentic

Be authentically you. Don't worry about little things like having all the newest items or dressing like the rest of the crowd. Channel your inner creativity on a regular basis, and you'd probably be surprised by how truly "you" it will make you feel.

"She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple." Proverbs 31:22

9. Confident

Be confident in yourself, today and when you think about the future. Confidence can be seen from a mile away, and people notice thus putting their confidence in you. Stop worrying about tomorrow and remember that in the end, everything works out the way it is supposed to.

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come." Proverbs 31:25

10. Articulate

Being able to speak with wisdom and kindness isn't something we are all born with. It's important to always remember the effect words have on people, both good and bad. We can hurt people with the smallest thing we say, but we can also lift up someone with the smallest words. Going out of your way to give encouraging words to someone takes such a small amount of time for the impact it can have on their whole day.

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue." Proverbs 31:26

11. Appreciated

While we can't exactly decide to be appreciated by others, we can develop into the type of woman who is appreciated by those around us. Being a good friend, partner, mother, sister or person is bound to bring appreciation your way.

"Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her." Proverbs 31:28