Stress of Junior Year
Life Stages

Stress of Junior Year

Junior Year aka stressful year. While many people think college only consists of classes, there is much more added to a students plate during junior year. While classes are always insane, with papers, assignments, tests, and quizzes, there is much more than that. Junior year, consists of many other aspects in order to prepare you for the real world. Hearing the words "real world" stresses out college students beyond belief. Some of the things going through a college students mind during junior year…

100
Stress of Junior Year

1. Resume Building

While some may think putting together a resume sounds easy, it most definitely is not. When putting your resume may questions come to mind, such as what do I put on my resume? Is this important? How do I set it up? How do I stand out from all the other applicants? Therefore, it is much more than putting all your accomplishments and jobs on a piece of paper. This is why at Fairfield University, faculty is there to help. They know the answers to your questions and if they do not know, perchance, they find out for you.

https://zety.com/blog/resume-tips

2. Cover Letter

What on earth does someone write in a cover letter? What is the purpose of the cover letter? How do I stand out in a cover letter? A lot of time and effort is put into a cover letter because it has to be individualized to the job or internship you are applying for. Again, This is why at Fairfield University, faculty is there to help. They know the answers to your questions and if they do not know, perchance, they find out for you.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/how-to-write-a-cove...

3. Linkedin Account

Making a Linkedin account sounds fairly easy, just going through the steps that are required. Linkedin is a way to market yourself, which brings up the question, how do I stand out? Linkedin is an efficient way for companies to view applicants. Everything is in one place, showing someone's character. But what does one post? The pressure of a post reflecting if you are a potential candidate for a job makes one question everything they write. The pressure to market yourself, the pressure to show the best side of you that there is.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamarruda/2017/01...

4. References

Again, references seem like the easy step. But before you write down references, who do you use as a reference? Pick someone who can speak highly about you and show that you stand out compared to others. Once one figures out the write people that will allow for them to stand out compared to others, how to do you go about asking them? Contacting people can sometimes be like pulling teeth. It may take time for someone to get back to you, the process is long. Once you decide and ask, what do you need to know about them? Figuring out what you need from a reference can be nit picky but do not let it stand in your way. Soon, you will have all your information and everything will come together.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/choosing-best-jo...

5. Recommendation Letters

When asking someone to use them as a reference, does that mean that you want a recommendation letter from them too? Do you use the same people? Choosing someone with excellent writing skills to speak highly of you in order for you to again, stand out.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/tips-for-request...

6. Writing Samples

When an internship or job asks one for a writing sample, what does that imply? It is a way for you to show your writing ability along with your ability to stand out compared to other applicants. How do you choose a topic to write about that is appropriate in a job setting? How does that writing sample show how you are as a person and/or worker?

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/writing-samples-...

7. Finding the Perfect Internship

Internships are the end result to all of these steps, it is what one is striving for in college. Everyone wants to make money during their internship but plenty are unpaid positions. But the experience will be worth it in the end. Internships are about discovering what you like and dislike in the workplace. Internships lead to jobs, which leads to the rest of your life. Internships can open up lots of doors for someone, that is why standing out is important because that means things you will have a lot to add to that company.

Junior year is marketing yourself in order to attract the jobs and internships you are interested in. Take it a step at a time. Ask for help. Every college campus has an organization to help navigate the students way through this time in their lives. Standing out is important, there is a lot more than just applying for a job. There are a lot of things leading up to applying that are very stressful during junior year. Breath. Everything works out. Life will come together. Stand out.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ If you are stuck, this website is a huge help!