The Real Definitions Of Strength, Resilience, Character

Moving on and overcoming adversity

120
Quote Master

STRENGTH

/streNG(k)TH/

noun

1. the quality or state of being strong, in particular

2. a good or beneficial quality or attribute of a person or thing

synonyms: strong point, advantage, asset, forte, aptitude, talent, skill; specialty

RESILIENCE

/rəˈzilyəns/

noun

1. the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness

2. the ability of a substance to spring back into shape; elasticity

CHARACTER

/ˈkerəktər/

noun

1. the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual

Strength comes in an infinite amount of forms and means something different to everyone. Strength could be singing in front of a huge crowd, or walking fearlessly into a new school. It could be pursuing a new hobby, or opening yourself up to the judgement of others. Strength could be studying for days and crushing a huge test, or initiating a friendship. In its simplest of definitions, it could even be your physical capacity.

Strength can also be walking away from a situation that you know isn't good for you.

Strong point.

Advantage.

Asset.

Forte.

Aptitude.

Talent.

Skill.

Specialty.

All of these words have affirmative connotations and denotations. All of these words describe forward motion and success, confidence, a solid and steady foundation. All of these words are characteristic of a person who is entirely capable of making decisions that are healthy and positive for their life. All of these words work to build someone up and support them, not break them down or fill them with doubts.

So often people are socially reprimanded for walking away and not exhibiting resilience in the face of adversity.

But resilience is defined as the ability to recover from difficulties, and sometimes recovering doesn't mean making sense of your current situation, but instead finding a new environment to embrace. They say the first step to moving on and becoming stronger as an individual is the act of acceptance, and sometimes acceptance means understanding that you aren't in the right place, be it emotionally, physically, or mentally.

Decisions that you make aren't always necessarily permanent. Some choices are most certainly irreversible, but in most cases it's more than possible to walk away from mistakes you've made in effort to correct them.

Your character is a testament to your strength. Your strength is the fuel behind the decisions that you make; it's what drives you through life and assists you in overcoming obstacles. Your character, however, is the result of these decisions you make; it's the person who results from the strength that you exhibit. With great strength, the true "you" will always prevail.

Having strength gives you a strong point. Having strength puts you at an advantage. Strength is an asset. When strength is one of your fortes, you're unstoppable. If you have an aptitude for strength, you're indomitable. It's a talent. It's a skill. It's a specialty. It's what makes you individually unique.