Do You Ever Stop To Watch The Rain?

Do You Ever Stop To Watch The Rain?

When was the last time you wondered at how the rain falls, or felt it patter on your skin?
90

Do you ever stop to look at the rain, to watch and wonder at the way it falls? It is easy to get used to rain and forget to notice or enjoy it. When it starts to rain, we often run inside as quickly as possible, shut the door, and wait until it’s over.

A few days ago, as we parked our car, it started to rain hard. Instinctually I ran inside with everyone else, but then I thought: when was the last time I watched the rain? I walked over to the window. Everyone else was busy making dinner.

I looked up and watched how the rain fell from the clouds. It was as if there was a hole in the sky, a leak, letting all these little droplets through. The wind blew the clouds, low lying, and fluffy grey; they hurried past. Occasionally a gust of wind pushed the rain making it fall at an angle.

It was amazing all that was happening. The rain came in waves, heavier or lighter at times, pushed back and forth by the wind. Drops hit the new green leaves of the little maple tree out front. Every drop would make the leaf bounce when it landed. The rain was dancing with the tree.

No two rainstorms are the same; they last for different amounts of time, some are gentle trickles, others are downpours. Each storm is a unique performance put on by the sky. There is singing, dancing, colors and sounds, all arranged in an orderly fashion.

Have you ever been on a lake when it rains? It’s funny because when each drop hits the lake, it makes a splash. Water from the lake bounces to meet the other falling drops, and soon you can’t tell which water is which, it is all blended in a thunderous roar of water.

These performances are far from two dimensional. There are more than just sights and sounds to enjoy. Have you ever smelled the air when it rains? Some people love the earthy smell it makes. The rain falls on the ground releasing an earthy aroma, and the air often gets cooler too making it feel refreshing.

Often, we try to avoid rain, so we don’t get wet, but every once in a while, it’s good to let it fall on your skin, to feel the rain’s soft patter, or even get soaked.

When was the last time you enjoyed the rain? If you haven’t lately, then stop and enjoy it.

Watch how it falls, feel it, smell it, taste it, dance in it, wonder at it like you did when you were a child.

Watch how the trees and streams dance in the rain, how the clouds fly by.

Listen to the rain’s song, its gentle gurgles, and its loud roar.

Listen how the thunder sings along, with its long rolling bass notes.

Every once in a while, we need to enjoy nature’s symphony, her magnificent performance put on just for us.