"If You're Scared, Stay Home."
News

"If You're Scared, Stay Home."

A look into the debate of wearing masks.

272
"If You're Scared, Stay Home."

"Stay home if you're scared!"

That phrase has been plastered all over social media the past couple of weeks.

Asking people to wear masks and to practice social distancing in public has started a debate over how much the government can influence our individual lives.

There are many scenarios in which an individual cannot stay home if they are afraid of catching the coronavirus without financial repercussions. For instance, single parents have to maintain income in order to provide for their family. They may be scared of brining home the virus to their family, yet they have no choice but to work in order to continue providing for their family. There are individuals who may be on their own and have to continue to work in order to provide for themselves.

Practicing social distancing and wearing a mask isn't just exclusive to protect the immunocompromised. By practicing social distancing and wearing a mask, the CDC has described this can help reduce the spread of the coronavirus.

Throughout the country, there has been debate and protests over whether we should wear masks. Some protests had individuals holding signs describing, "I want a haircut." While some argue they are ready to go back to work, others debate that we should not re-open the country until it is safe to do so.

Whether you're immunocompromised or not, at some point we all have to go back to work and venture out into the public. With the growing number of cases and possibilities of being an asymptomatic spreader, individuals now than ever are pushing for mask mandates and urging their communities to do so. Others argue that being forced to wear a mask is taking away their personal freedoms. Despite what side you are on, be safe and stay healthy.