Stop Telling Me I Won’t Find Work After College

Our parents did not have to work as hard as us, but they put us down? Yeah, that makes sense.

43
NPR.org

You know, it’s extremely difficult for college students to be motivated to do their college homework, get internships, and find jobs when all of our parents or older generations are telling us that we will never find a good career after the expensive years of college.

I know that chances of finding an immediate, perfect, six figure salary career after being a recently fresh college graduate is very low, but finding an entry level job after graduation is not impossible! If parents are going to push us towards going to universities and pursuing a decent future, why would they then tell us there’s no hope and to basically give up?

We all try our best in college. We stress for days and nights getting less than even five hours of sleep each night because of the stress of classes and homework given. We apply for hundreds of internships, and end up getting maybe two during the entire four years we are in our undergraduate years. We work harder than our parents had to at our age to get ahead in life.

Many college students, like me, work full time (considered part time by cheaper employers) and forty or more hours each week on minimum wage just to make ends meet and try to pay for our overpriced higher educational needs.

Our parents did not have to work this hard.

So, I don’t think its very fair or reasonable for the older generation to put us down and tell us that we won’t find work after putting so much time and effort into getting the perfect GPA, perfect extracurricular activities, and building up our resumes with as much good experience that we can find within such a short time.

Just stop telling us that we won’t make it out of college with a decent job. It is possible, it just takes an extraordinary amount of time, luck, and education in order to get the perfect career out of college. I happen to know many people that have made it after college and are currently living the life of luxury with a career in their major and actual money in their savings and checking banking accounts.

We are trying our god damn best to make it through college with some sanity left, and having older generations tell us it’s a waste of time or that we should work even harder in order to actually get a career in the future is such a punch in the face to us. But we will see who’ll be laughing after everyone graduates and our parents are in retirement homes with little to nothing to their names and we have all of the careers and homes.