Stop Shaming Body Positivity

I recently read an Odyssey article that talked about body positivity and how body positivity is a reason to say that it is okay to be overweight. We use that as an excuse to not make a change in our lifestyles and habits. I just don't agree with this. I thought about linking the article, but I don't want to fire shots. I just want to clear the air a little.

Here's the deal. It is very important to take care of your body. I am not disputing that. I recently have become very involved in nutrition and exercising. I feel better and I am starting to notice clothes fitting better etc. However, in order to make a change, you need to accept yourself as you are. If you don't believe in yourself or have confidence in making a change, you won't make a change plain and simple. You will give up too easily.

Body positivity has nothing to do with eating eight slices of pizza everyday because you deserve it and it is your body. No. No one deserves to be able to eat 5,000 calories in a day. There is absolutely no need for that. People tend to get this twisted. All you are doing is making excuses for your serious pizza addiction.

What true body positivity promotes is being okay with yourself and not partaking in self-loathing. Trust me, I've been there. Whether you are at your goal weight or not, whether you can rock winged eye-liner or not, or if you have long flowing hair or not, you should love yourself. Why? Because there is only one of you. One. Why should you waste your time comparing yourself to others? Whether you are a size 00 or 16 you should love yourself and others regardless of the number that they see on the scale compared to you.

That is what true body positivity is. It is not an excuse to be unhealthy.