Stop Shaming At The Gym
You're working out at the gym and look over at someone and think to yourself, "Why are they doing their workout like that? That's all they're benching? Wow, how impressive... They really should've worn something else. They're not fit enough to be wearing that in public".

The other day, I saw a post on social media that really bothered me. Someone that I follow, posted a picture of themselves at the gym while looking annoyed and captioned it by saying, "Frat boy curling 110 in the power rack. Everybody better be intimidated". STOP. Just stop.

I don't care who you are, what you do or how physically fit you are or aren't. You have no business in judging and shaming others for what they're doing in and outside of the gym.

As a human being, I will admit that yes, I have had thoughts about others while at the gym and they have not always been of the kindest words. I hate that I have judged others and wish I could take all of those harmful words back. Yes, we are all entitled to our own opinions but that does not give us the excuse to put others down whenever we chose.

What did that "frat boy" do to you? Are you bothered that he is in a greek organization? Is his lifting and strength not good enough for you? Is his appearance not up to your standards? What has he done to make you so annoyed? Would you feel the same if this was a woman or a woman a part of a greek organization?

I know that I am always too self conscious to go to the gym alone because I have a constant fear of others judging me by my appearance or how I chose to do my workouts. I have had an eating disorder before and have struggled with my body mentally and physically ever since. When I go to the gym, it is to better myself and to gain confidence and self love; not to be judged by others.

We don't know the reason why others are at the gym working out or just working out in general. We don't know their goals. We don't know the capacity of their physical strength and how much they can lift. Just because someone looks a certain way or does their workout differently than you, it doesn't give you the right to to judge them. Just because you might be at the gym all of the time and think you are in pretty good shape, that does not give you the right to judge anyone.

Mental health is a big part of wellness, not just physical activity and nutrition. When you put others down publicly, you are possibly making certain aspects of their mental health worse. Whether that person is working out to look good, to lose weight or to just feel good, they are working on themselves for a reason and you have not gained the right to put them down for trying to better themselves. Keep the words to yourself and away from social media. Your body may look good but others will find your unattractive if you have an ugly personality. Fun fact!