Stop Asking Me Why I Don't Have A Boyfriend

Plot Twist: I'm single by choice

2005
Karley Nugent

It’s a question I’m tired of hearing and even more tired of answering at this point: why don’t you have a boyfriend?

There are quite a few other variations of the question as well.

“When are you going to bring someone home?”

“Have you found a man yet?”

“Why don’t you try dating and finding someone you like?”

It’s a question that has many different ways to ask it, but ultimately, they all have the same answer.

It’s because I don’t want to date right now.

Now, as you can imagine, this answer gets a lot of mixed reactions. Occasionally, it shocks people. Some people flat out don’t believe me and think I’m hiding a boyfriend. Others have asked me if I ever get lonely. Then there are those who just can’t for the life of them process why a young girl doesn’t want to find a nice boy to spend special time with like so many others have. The list goes on and on, but you get the point, and it never fails to annoy me when people expect me to clarify.

I will openly acknowledge right now that my business is my own, and no one is entitled to know why I make the choices I make in my life.

Because this is becoming such a common thing in my life, and I’m kind of tired of dealing with it over and over again, let me try to clear things up for those who are curious.

Let me start by saying that I am happy with the way things are in my life right now.

Crazy, I know. To think that somehow, I could possibly be happy with leading a single life? Insanity.

So, let me break it down to answer some of those pesky questions I get asked all too many times.

No, I’m not hiding anyone, because let me tell you, if I were ever to commit myself to another person, it wouldn’t be someone I was ashamed to be with or felt the need to hide from other people for any reason.

Lonely is the basically the exact opposite. I have all the friends I could ever want, and every single one of them means the world to me. At the same time, I’m always open to letting new people into my life. So no, there’s no problem there.

Above all of that, there’s also the fact that I haven’t met anyone I’d want to pursue something with. There isn’t a boy in my life as of this moment that I can look at and say with absolute certainty that he might be the one I want to have something with. And guess what? I’m not going to force it. When that special guy walks into my life, it’ll happen.

Here’s the thing: I like who I am right now and I’m living a life that I want to live.

As far as I can see, having a boyfriend would not enhance my life in any way that I absolutely want or need at the moment.

I’m young, and there are so many things I want to do and places I want to see on my own before I settle or tie myself to someone. And believe me, I have every hope of finding happiness with someone later in life. It’s not that I don’t ever want to have a relationship; it’s that right now, I openly choose not to.

And that’s okay. Believe me, I am more than okay.

I never feel like I’m missing out on anything, because I am content with what I’m doing and where I’m going in life.

So please, world, take a chill pill and don’t worry about me. And to those who are just nosy, you need to take a few steps back as well. When it happens, I’m sure you’ll all know. Social media is good for things like that.

So yeah, I can somewhat appreciate your concern, but please know that it’s truly not needed.

I like my life right now, and let’s leave it at that. I'll let the universe decide when I'll meet the one. You should, too.

And, because I always end my articles this way...

Happy exploring.