freshman fifteen

How To Lose A Pound In Ten Days

How to start your weight loss journey one pound at a time.

102
http://balance30a.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/weightloss.jpg

Coming into college I was a bit intimidated of the "freshman fifteen" and what some parents now call the "freshman forty". I have taken it upon myself to coin a new term called the Freshman minus Fifteen. I refused to take my somewhat squishy, out of shape looking body and make it even worse. So my help to you is how to lose a pound in ten days. Following these steps obviously cannot guarantee you will lose it, but its a hell of a start in the right direction. All body types are different and lifestyle changes don't happen overnight. Trust me, this is coming from a girl who looks nowhere near in shape and still struggles to get the motivation to work out. But together this school year we can better ourselves and our health.

​​​Hydrate​​​​​

This is the most cliche, yet the most important part of keeping your body healthy. The minimum amount you should drink each day is eight cups of water. And when I'm not feeling well I drink ten to twelve because my body definitely needs it more.

Calorie intake

By reducing the number of calories you eat in one day by 500 calories, you can lose a pound in one week. For a 2,000 calorie diet, reduce your calories to 1,500 per day. This may seem like a lot, but I didn't realize how much less food I could eat and still feel full. I currently use the app "Lose It" and my calories are set to 1,110 per day. When adding in my workouts to the app, my calorie intake for the day goes up and therefore I don't feel as if I'm starving myself. Which also pushes me to get to the gym so I can add a few more calories to the day.

Replacement of Red Meat

I'm not a huge red meat fan, to begin with; however, Nelson has garden burgers. So for all you red meat fans, switch out red meat for a garden burger one day or decrease the amount of red meat intake overall. Protein can be found in many other sources such as peanut butter, beans, and many kinds of nuts.

Exercise

Along with a healthy diet, exercise is an important factor in losing weight. A huge pro for me when touring Ohio University was the quality of the gym compared to other schools I had visited. I love not having to see Planet Fitness come out of my bank account each month. Ping has multiple floors and has been adding more items over the past few months we've been in school. I used to be very intimidated by going into a gym full of buff guys grunting and maxing out. Ping is set up with so many rooms and sections that there is always a spot where I can feel comfortable to work out in.

Meal Planning

Meal planning from a school meal plan may seem like a difficult task, but it doesn't have to be. Pinterest is your best friend when it comes to anything you need, literally. You can start with a small meal plan like a few days. Look ahead and think of some healthy meals you could put together before going to the dining halls, you don't always have to get your food from one section. Or if you live in an apartment you can make your shopping list before heading to the store!

Sleep

College students never get the sleep they need, but when you try losing weight with no sleep and no energy your body hates you for it. Getting eight hours of sleep each night is ideal, but not always realistic. Napping is never frowned upon! Your body needs to be rested and truly needs that time to relax after a long day of classes or a late night of studying.