Step Into The Water

Step Into The Water

Baptism may be in a swimming pool, but it will also change your life.

26
Step Into The Water
Wikimedia

Summer-time is coming and many individuals are getting ready to jump into the pool as a way to cool off in the summer heat. In West Texas we will have numerous days with the triple digit heat and jumping into a pool of cold water may just be the remedy to cool-off during the heat of the day. Going to the pool outdoors during the summertime is one activity that even some adults enjoy as well as the children. You may play games in the pool like marco polo or even just having diving contests to see who is willing to jump off from the diving boards.

Now let's take it a step further: Go to a church camp for a full summer and enjoy spending time at the pool: you may get the swimming award for completely finishing the swim test, but that water can be more than just a pool. A camper makes the decision to put Christ on in baptism and wants their counselor to baptize them after supper. So after supper the baptism takes place in the pool, and that camper has just made the most important decision to follow Christ. We often do not think of the pool of water being more than just a place to cool off, but sometimes I think we fall into the trap at realizing that a pool actually has multiple purposes though it is more commonly used during the summer. However it does not really matter that it may be a small body of water in the swimming pool, but the purpose of the decision that was made to put Christ on in baptism will be the choice that changes their life for the better and help that camper take that first step with God by their side one step at a time for stepping into the water to put Christ on in baptism.

Mark 1:8-10 (TNIV) I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.

John 3:5 (TNIV) Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.

Acts 10:47 (TNIV) "Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have."

Swimming in a pool may be nice for the summer as way to cool off, but it can also play a significant role by serving for another purpose and that is putting Christ on in baptism. Step into the water and take the time to actually think about it, that though it may not be open year round, if that is what is available to help you put on Christ in baptism I say go for it, because making that decision will change your life whether you are in a swimming pool, or a church house baptistery. So enjoy your summer in the pool and take a step into the water. Amen.