There's Nothing Wrong With Staying Single In College, Not That You'd Know That By Looking Around

It seems like everywhere you look people are getting into relationships, but don't worry being single in college is the key to success.

186
123rf

Everyone who engrains the saying that college is "the best time of your life” is correct and I can attest to that. What they don’t tell you is that besides all the frat parties and early morning bar crawls, school is actually pretty stressful.

Being constantly bombarded with classes, homework, internships, extra-curricular activities, along with attempting to maintain a good GPA can be a heavy load to carry. When balancing curricular activities along with a good social life, romantic relationships can honestly be more distracting and stressful than anything.

During my freshman year, so many people I knew were getting into relationships, and I started to think that was what you were supposed to do. I was stressed about school and on top of that I thought I was supposed to find a man, but I’m ultimately glad nothing working out. Most relationships my friends or I were involved with started to cause so much more stress in our lives and we began to slip with our GPAs, and barely had time to socialize. Relationships led us to be more focused on other people, and more concerned about their problems, happiness, and stress rather than our own.

At the start of my sophomore year, I began to understand just why being single in college was so amazing and I began to thrive. I realized that college is the time that we’re all getting ready for our future, discovering what we like and don’t like, and establishing who we are. & yes, in the past if you weren’t in a relationship by the time you were 20 people would start to wonder if something was wrong with you, or if you were unsuitable for love, but now it’s the new norm.

Many accomplished women of our time have climbed to the top without the help of a partner or significant other by their side. I’m not saying if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend you should just dump them because they are going to drag you down, that’s not it. It’s just if you don’t have one, don’t think you are missing out on anything.

It may seem selfish, and it 100% is.

This is your time to be selfish and work on you because no one loves you like you love yourself, and some relationships can lead you to feel more insecure about you and your life goals. When you're single, you have time to deal with your own problems and no one else's, and not to mention you can freely flirt with whoever whenever.

SEE ALSO: 7 Advantages Of Being Selfishly Single In College

Even after reading this article if you still feel like you need a man, go get a dog because while they're just as needy, they don't come with the emotional baggage and unwanted drama.