7 Advantages Of Being Selfishly Single In College

Being single in college is a good thing. Here's why.

349
EveryPixel

Trust me when I say I get it, I've been that one friend with the boyfriend and I've also been the loner friend. I too hate seeing those super lovey couples making out in the hallway like we're back in high school, making us feel lonely yet again.

From going from the girl with the seemingly fantastic relationship to the girl with the great gal pals, I'm here to tell you that I'd take my friends over a guy any day.

1. Truly loving yourself

Being single means you have all the time in the world to start and truly love yourself.I can't stress how important it is. Take advantage of this time to be single and truly start doing things just for you. Go buy yourself that expensive pair of shoes you've been wanting or go get that whole box of pizza and binge watch your favorite Netflix show. Work on being the best version of yourself first and then when it's meant to happen, it will.

2. No Arguments

Remember getting into arguments over the smallest things? Or the times that your significant other would choose everything else over you? Being single at this age is a blessing in disguise because you don't have to deal with all these arguments yet. There's so much less drama and stress involved with being single.

3. Freedom

Yes, college is about picking your future career and furthering your education but it's also about having fun. Many of us go to school to gain our own freedom and figure out who we are so why be tied down to one person telling you when and where you can go? That's what parents are for.

4. Growth

I have a lot of friends who have only ever been with the same guy since high school, where they've either grown together in the relationship or grown apart. College is a place where you're meant to evolve into your true self but it may be hard to do that when you're holding onto who you used to be or not growing at all. You need space to grow into the person you're meant to be.

5. Time with your girls

Having to pick between hanging out with a boyfriend and watching some shows you never even wanted to watch in the first place versus hanging out and laughing with a couple of your closest friends is probably the easiest decision ever. I'd rather laugh and have a good time with my girls, duh.

6. Balance

Balancing life is extremely hard for the majority of us, but being in a fully committed relationship makes it even harder to focus sometimes. It's hard to concentrate on any exam if you're constantly distracted by the relationship. Yes, distractions can be great sometimes but not when it's due to fighting or any sort of unpleasantries.

7. Saving money

This may be last but this is for sure my favorite part of being single, I don't have to feel guilty for spending all my money just on me. Being in a relationship means that you occasionally will want to buy each other gifts and such, but honestly I'd rather spend all my money on me. This is probably the only time in our lives that we can be fully selfish, so I'd rather embrace it and shower myself in gifts.