5 Ways To Stay Healthy In College When Literally Everyone Is Sick

Because let's face it, you don't have time to be sick.

122
Savannah Charles

We all genuinely mean it when we say, “I don’t have time to be sick!” The workload in college is never-ending, whether you’re trying to keep up with the readings and homework, attempting to ace an upcoming exam, or just trying to copy the notes you missed yesterday. The added stress of being sick in college is not fun and definitely not needed, so why not take easy, daily precautions that will keep you healthy when everyone you know is feeling under the weather?

Here are a few tips I've learned during my first year that have made me feel healthy and happy!

1. Take your vitamins

Taking vitamins daily is so important to maintaining your body’s health! Let’s face it, the diet of a college student is not always ideal, so it is necessary to take in vitamins we might not get otherwise. Head to the store and find some vitamins that you think will work for you! Personally, I enjoy taking vitamins for Women’s Health and Vitamin C every day to ensure I am getting what my body needs to be ready to go all day, every day.

2. Get enough rest

Trust me, I know how impossible and naïve this sounds coming from a college student, but I cannot express enough how truly important it is! When your body gets enough rest, it has time to reset and reboot. Especially in times of stress, your body and mind need time to decompress and relax. Although it may seem like you need another hour of studying, sometimes it is just simply better to get that extra hour of sleep to ensure a productive day tomorrow.

3. Drink plenty of water

Carry a reusable water bottle with you all day, every day. Refill it in the morning, at lunch, and at dinner and make sure to drink water continuously throughout the day. An easy way to remember to do this is to stop and take a drink whenever you take a mental break from studying. Water replenishes and cleans out the body and can allow both your body and mind feel refreshed!

4. Get a flu shot

I know, I know. I know because I dread getting shots as much as the next person and there is no way I will walk into a clinic and request a needle being put into my arm. Unless, it means I can protect myself from a week (at least!) of misery. The pain (okay, but it really doesn’t hurt) of a flu shot is so tiny compared to the awfulness that is felt from flu symptoms. If there is one way you can attempt protect yourself from the flu, it seems like it’s worth a shot to me! (Haha, pun intended.)

5. Clean, clean, clean!

Living in an environment that is absolutely full of other students means that germs are extremely likely to spread and be present everywhere. Taking the time to clean your dorm with disinfectant wipes on a daily basis can go a long way to stop the spread of germs! Also, the obvious, such as frequently washing your hands and covering your mouth when you cough and sneeze is necessary to avoid spreading germs to others.

I hope you feel inspired to stay healthy and rested this finals season!

Wishing you health and happiness,

Savannah