Standing Up To POTS At Wittenberg

Standing Up To POTS At Wittenberg

Wittenberg University has made an effort to raise awareness about this disease around campus.
14

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is one of a group of disorders that have orthostatic intolerance (OI) as their primary symptoms. It’s when an excessively reduced volume of blood returns to the heart after an individual stands up from a lying-down position. Some symptoms of POTS include fainting, migraines, and lightheadedness. These symptoms can be relieved by laying down again. Anyone at any age can develop POTS, but the majority of individuals who are affected (between 75 and 80 percent) are women between the 15 to 50 years of age.

Wittenberg University has made an effort to raise awareness about this disease around campus through the “Standing Up To POTS 5K.” The Pre-Health Professionals Club is teaming up with Dr. Pederson to bring the event to Wittenberg this year. Dr. Pederson’s daughter has POTS, which makes this disease hit even closer to home here at Wittenberg. The 5K seeks to raise $10,000 for Dr. Pederson’s nonprofit of the same name. The 5K is on April 9th and it starts at the Student Center.

This nonprofit provides a wealth of information about POTS and the people who it affects. It explains the tell-tale signs of POTS such as the symptoms explained above. Additionally, it provides information about treating these symptoms through the best medicines, advice about dieting, taking actions to avoid fainting and lightheadedness, responsibly exercising, and where to find counseling for the emotional struggles that this disease can cause. It also catalogs published research about POTS, which allows those who don’t know much about the disease to learn important facts about it.