Standing Strong In Your Faith In A World That Has Lost Theirs

The true meaning of being a Christian in the modern world.

70
ouranchorholds.com

Confession: I am proud, bible-believing Christian and I refuse to let anyone make me feel bad about it. We sadly live in a world that shames people who are of faith and people who are strong in it. The world has a hard time agreeing on many things, but one thing they can agree on is that they have a strong disdain for Christians. When you hear the word Christian, typically three words come to mind: hateful, unaccepting, and judgmental. First and foremost, if you meet a Christian that exudes any of these qualities, then you're hanging around the wrong Christian.

I will admit, it is extremely hard being a Christian in the modern day world. There's so much happening and so much that's changing, and sometimes it's hard to know what to think or believe. You find yourself wondering how to remain strong in your faith in a world that's lost theirs. Well, the answer is the word of God. Though things have changed and people have changed, God has remained constant. No matter how many years have passed, the word of God is still the same today, tomorrow, and yesterday. That is what we have to stand on.

The truth is, real Christians are not "judgmental," because we know that we were saved only by the grace of God. I can promise you that I was not the person I am today before I fully accepted God into my life, and no Christian is. Yeah, I've been in church ever since I was born, but it took years for the church to fully be in me. I know it is not my place to kick someone while there down or going through circumstances because I too have gone through them.

I don't have the authority or the right to judge people by my personal standards, because the only standards that matter are God's. And a side note: those judgmental Christians will someday be judged as well. For the bible says "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" - Matthew 7:1-2.

The bible says "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" - Romans 12:2. I however have a different view of this. God tells us not to be of the world but in my opinion God has called us to be in the world. Christianity didn't spread by people staying in their sheltered box and only conversing with other Christians. The point is to spread God's word to people from all walks of life. This means that I should be able to hold a conversation with the highest of the high and the lowest of the low. I am no better than anyone else and I am called to keep a humble spirit.

And above all, Christians are called to love. I may not agree with how you act, what you do, or how you live, but I'm going to love and support you despite all of that. Sometimes Christians get so caught up in trying to be "the good Christian" that they forget that it was love that saved them. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" - John 3:16. If God loves me so much that he could send his own son to die, then my main duty as a Christian is to pour that same love into other people. Period.

I fully understand and accept that there is a social stigma attached to being a Christian and I've learned how to deal with that. In fact, some of you probably started rolling your eyes about halfway through this article and that's perfectly fine. Feel free to comment below because I love using any opportunity that I can to talk about my faith. I am a Christian. I have an amazing (and sometimes complicated) relationship with God. I don't think I'm better than you and I will not judge you. I won't impose my religion on you because I understand that everyone's views are not my views. I haven't been "brainwashed" and I'm not "stupid" for believing that God is real. I am also no less of a Christian because I sometimes experience doubt.

The point that I'm making is that I don't have it all figured out. I have my struggles and doubts just like the next person, but my life is so much better knowing that God is always there no matter how many times I stray away from him and I know that I can take anything to him in prayer. That is the true meaning of being a Christian.

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me" -Psalms 23:1-4