The Stages of Summer As Told By "Friends"

"I'm not great at the advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?" - Chandler Bing

37
tv.com

School is out for summer! That's right ... School. Is. Out! Summer is just the break we all need from the six all-nighters we pulled in the last two weeks cramming for finals. It is time to soak up the sun and the sweet summer air for about two days before your mom gets sick of how much Netflix you are watching and makes you get a job. As Ross Geller would say, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" Here are the nine stages of summer as told by our very favorite group of "Friends."

1. FINALS ARE OVER!

Cramming for six finals in three days wasn't your best decision ... but, hey, it's college! Gotta do what you gotta do.

2. So happy to be home!

Oh, how you have missed your comfortable bed, familiar house and of course your beloved pet. You even missed your annoying sibling. It is just so good to be home and finally catch up on some sleep and see some long-distance friends.

3. Time to find a job.

Being home for the summer doesn't necessarily mean you can be at home the whole summer. As my mother told me, "Time to earn your keep, kid." Besides, being out of the house for a few hours a day is good for your temperament because your parents are starting to get on your nerves, and (bonus) you get to make money!

4. Hanging out with good friends before your new found job gets to be too stressful.

Your long-distance best friends are finally home from college! Time to catch up on high school drama, share crazy college stories and binge eat your favorite snacks (my favorite are Flaming Hot Cheetos) while throwing a few back.

5. In the words of Rihanna, " WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK."

Oh, you thought you would have all this free time to relax and hang out with your friends? Ha, nope! Even though it is summer, you have absolutely no social life because you are constantly working, sleeping or avoiding all responsibilities. And you are really ready to go back to school because everyone is annoying you.

6. Vacation? Yes, please!

Whether it be a spontaneous friends vaycay or your yearly family vacation, you really need a break from working. Thank you eight pound, six ounce, sweet baby Jesus for a week out of the office and in the sun!

7. Wait, what do you mean it's already August?

It seemed like the work week dragged on, but you blink an eye at the end of May and suddenly it's August. A wave of anxiety floods your body. Somehow, you have done absolutely nothing on your summer bucket list, so you try to cram everything in one month.

8. No, I am NOT ready to go back to school.

It seemed like yesterday you were pulling in front of your house after that long drive back from school, and now you are packing up your belongings getting ready to leave again. It's a little heartbreaking. It's even more heartbreaking when you realize you have to adult again without parental or irresponsible friend-guidance. Uh, oh!

9. Goodbye beloved summer, hello college!

As you are packing up the car to leave for school and your summer is officially winding down, you think back on all the adventures and good times you had during these past few months. You actually loved spending time with your parents, pets and siblings. Of course you are going to miss your friends, but you are eager to get back to those college friends you really haven't seen because you all live so far away from each other.

Bonfires, tan lines and crazy adventures ... all I can say is time to make the most of these few summer months before responsibilities start calling our names again. Happy summer!