If You Didn't Know, Spotify Is Awesome

If You Didn't Know, Spotify Is Awesome

14
If You Didn't Know, Spotify Is Awesome

In late August, applications opened up for The Opening Act HBCU Conference that would take place on October 6-7, 2016. Applications called for tech, business, and communications undergraduate students who have an interest in music. Approximately 1,000 individuals applied and 81 applicants were chosen in the end, and I was one of those 81. Spotify provided us an all expense paid trip to New York City, where we given the opportunity to stay in The Standard High Line Hotel. During the conference, we were given insight on the tech and media industry from black successful individuals in the field. Beyonce’s manager and head of Parkwood Entertainment, Steve Pamon spoke with us and gave insight on what it’s like to work for the greatest superstar in the world and how hard work brought him to that position. Troy Carter, the head of the Atom Factory, held an open conversation on what brought him to where he was and just being in the industry as well. In an industry, where black people only make up 3%, the Opening Act Conference is really a gem. The Conference was a really amazing experience and gave all of us the opportunity to experience New York City. There was a feeling inspiration and endless possibilities and I can’t wait to see my cohorts of the conference will do in the future. It is often, that HBCUs are looked down at as institutions because they are considered to lack diversity. Attending an HBCU and being at the conference, I see first hand the diversity among a people that is considered homogeneous and the beauty in that diversity. The conference gave us the opportunity to connect and I’m going to be eternally grateful to Spotify for that. I, now take pride in paying that $9.99 a month and see Spotify as more than just a streaming service.