Sports Betting Is Finally, Rightfully Legal, But I Will Not Be Found In A Casino

I still support other people's rights to do what they please with their money.

70
Instagram

Greetings, readers! I was recently in Israel (And I'll be sharing plenty of thoughts about that soon) for a week without reliable access to my computer or the internet, so this is the first time in several weeks I've been able to chat, but thank you for holding tight while I was away.

Now, down to business.

Recently, the United States Supreme Court struck down the federal ban on sports gambling that applied to all the states except Nevada-- as they had legalized the practice before the feds should it down in other places.

Deleware-- known as the "first state" that ratified the constitution and joined the original union during the revolution-- will be the first state to open legal betting after the ruling, beating case plaintiff New Jersey in the race to open the books.

This is a win for everyone. States can open their own casinos, which can make money and boost local economy's while also providing consumers with the chance to win (or lose) money at their own will. Freedom for individuals and businesses is what makes America what is always has been, and always will be. Now the states have the freedom to freely determine what commercial activity occurs inside their borders; after all, states are still free to outlaw sports gambling if they see such a ban fit.

While I am extremely supportive of the betting ban being struck down, don't expect to see me betting the under when football season comes around. I will not be participating.

Arguably the biggest argument against the legalization of sports betting was the concern over systematic gambling addiction and the lives of so-called "degenerate " gamblers.

I am not concerned about I myself becoming one of those types of people because I know how to do things responsibly-- such as drinking or playing the lottery. But what I am not willing to do is gamble away my passion for something I love-- sports itself.

Sports is just crazy, which is why Iove it so much. An underdog going on a playoff run, or a huge win for one of my teams are things that can make an entire week or year, while a loss can put a legitimate damper on any true fan's weekend. Even when two teams that I have little compelling rooting interest in play each other an exciting game, I watch because the games are fun to watch, and as a fan, we sometimes get extremely entertaining outcomes to enjoy, but only so often. I think it is best to enjoy these moments when they come.

Which is why I cannot put money on a sporting event. How am I supposed to enjoy the pure thrill of a sport when I'm sitting on pins and needles the whole time about whether I receive a return on my $100+ bet? Entire events like March Madness or the World Cup are absolutely thrilling spectacles, but if a few games down the stretch go against my predictions and I lose money because of it, then how can I enjoy any of it?

And if I were to win, suddenly I remember a super bowl for arbitrary money and not the game-winning interception.

That is not my personal ideal view of sports. What I would like to be known, is that my opinion does not come from a morality standpoint. While I will never place a bet on a game, I fully support the right for someone else to place such a bet. I think America is best when people's hands are not held by the government (genrally speaking), so this still new devolopment is, in my view, a positive one.