Are You Spoiled If Your Parents Still Provide For You?

Does your opulence affect your values?

170
Flickr Creative Commons

I’m starting something new called article wars. Where I weed out two arguments and judge the better argument.

Let’s talk about college students whose parents pay for everything. The only reason people hate them is because they don’t have to work as hard and support themselves like those who do.

Those people are blessed. However, there are those who do take advantage of that blessing.

I am a firm believer that students should work while in college, it builds experience and it helps later in life. However, I also believe that by the time you’re 20, you shouldn’t have your parents pay for everything.

It actually seems very childish when someone has to ask their mom for money to go to an event. We’re not in elementary school anymore, you shouldn’t have to delegate whether or not you can go to an event based on your parents.

I have two jobs, mostly because I’m expensive and so are necessities. My mom can barely afford herself and my sister, add me back into the mix and she’s broke.

There is a certain responsibility that comes with making your own money and not having someone else give it to you, you learn to spend wisely and save.

Recently on the Odyssey, there have been two girls who’ve battled it out on this topic. One that sports the perspective of a hardworking student and the other who defends being “bankrolled” by her parents.

I can say that agree with most of the perspective from the first, but I wouldn’t call it bitter like the opposing article says. I would just simply call it “envious,” she’s envious that she has to work hard to provide for herself- and I obviously can relate.

I don’t want to work over 20 hours a week to spend on bills, I rather spend it other things. Like pens and cute stationery.

However, we can’t just go around calling people spoiled, we don’t know their situation in life. There are more than three sides to a person: The one that we see in public, the one we see alone, and the person they see themselves as alone.

I am also not saying that there aren’t people like she’s described, because on the outside, a lot of kids seem that way.

We all know those kids who have the new car, new shoes and don’t pay for any of it.

As for the next article, it is also just as hostile. This article is from the standpoint of someone who is “bankrolled” by her parents.

She lists:

She would do the same for her kids if she had the money.

She’s had multiple jobs back home and during the summer.

She does the same thing, she compares herself to the next girl as if lives are able to be compared. She obviously does not know how it feels to be in the other person’s shoes.

Yes, a summer job is a job. But a job during school and being full-time would probably make the summer job feel like volunteer work, she also works on her parents’ farm.

But, I honestly don’t feel as though she’s being unnecessary with her words because she obviously feels attacked. However, what sets me the wrong way about her argument, is when she says, “That’s what parents are supposed to do.” As in, parents are supposed to be able to provide for their child through college.

This is where she’s lost. If it wasn’t for this line, this war would’ve been a draw.

Nope, parents don’t have to do anything once you turn 18. They can basically abandon you.

I don’t pay for college because my scholarships pay for it, but if I didn’t have those, my mother sure as hell couldn’t pay for my education. Not everyone can shell out money to their kids, some people can’t even pay for groceries.

“That’s what parents are supposed to do” is an ungrateful statement, no one is obligated to do anything for you. Honestly, you probably need to get a job to learn that.