To The Girl Who Said I Can't Put 'Spoiled' On My Resume, Take 'Bitter' Off Yours

Sure, I can't put being spoiled on my resume... but you can't put being bitter on yours, either.
157256

Before I start, let me get something straight. I'm not spoiled, but I am well taken care of.

I'm sorry that the fact that my father pays my college tuition in full and wants me to have as much study time as possible "infuriates" you.

So, let me enlighten you, my parents providing for me in college doesn't define my character.

While I'm home during the summer, I work. We have a farm and a family business. I also umpire and work at other local places. So, trust me, I know the meaning of hard work and money just as well as you and the next guy.

You've had a job since you were 16 years old, I've had a job since I was 14 years old. But my "Mommy and Daddy" pay for a majority of the things I do. Especially my needs.

I worked Fridays and Saturday nights, too, but I also had enough free time to go to football games and hang out with my friends while I was in high school.

I must ask you this... why are you upset that kids have parents who give them everything? I'll be honest, when I have kids and a family I'm going to bust my butt to make sure my kids are happy and have everything they need to be successful.

They won't miss out on high school experiences to work some 4-10 job at Subway for their entire high school career. They'll be too busy enjoying the tail end of their childhood, playing sports, participating in the yearbook club, the mathlete club, or whatever it may be that they want to join.

My goal in life is to be as financially stable as possible, so if I want to buy my kids concert tickets, name brand clothes, or give them a few extra dollars for getting good grades... you best believe I am going to.

Kids are allowed to be stressed about things, no matter what it is. Telling someone what they can and cannot be upset about, or measuring the difficulty of their life by what it looks like, isn't fair. Maybe they aren't working an 8-hour shift and waking up at 5 a.m. to get ready for school the next day, but they may be studying as hard as they can for a test, getting a sufficient amount of rest to play in a game the next day (a game that could potentially pay for their college career), or struggling with something else outside of school that you are totally unaware of.

Don't shame me or anyone else because we are well supported by our parents. There is nothing wrong with that what so ever. That's what parents are supposed to do. If it wasn't for the great parenting that I had growing up, especially in my last two years of high school, I wouldn't be who I am today — a successful, hardworking, college attending young woman. I learned to have self-discipline, manners, and respect at a young age... the amount of money that my parents supplied me with had nothing to do with it.

So sure, I cannot put "spoiled" on my resume for previous job experience... but I can say that you can't put being bitter on yours, either.