Spencer Crandall Talks All Things ‘Worth The Wait’

Introducing everyone’s wedding song for the next decade, ‘Worth The Wait’

234
Nina Long Edited by Hailey Hastings

Anytime I get to pick the brain of an artist who I really respect it’s a great day, so getting to talk to Spencer Crandall all about his newest single, ‘Worth The Wait’ was the absolute best! I hope you all enjoy this interview as much as I do!

Stream ‘Worth The Wait’ here!

Hi Spencer! Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to chat with me! To kick us off, how would you describe your sound to someone who hasn't listened to you before?

So much of my sonic identity is playing with different genres. I want to unapologetically infuse pop, soul, funk, hip hop, R&B, EDM, and all the genres that were on my iPod as a kid. I always joke about how I was a “Limewire kid” growing up. Limewire was one of the first computer apps to allow you access to any song you wanted, so my musical inspiration is a broad array of genre and influence. The one staple that holds it all together is country storytelling and that is my favorite part of the whole thing! Country music is still the best at telling stories about real people and real life and I always want a song to work with no production - just me and an instrument. So it’s finding a balance of going to new places in the production, while going to universal ones with the words.

‘Worth The Wait’ is your first track since July! What was it about this song that made felt like it was the perfect track to kick off a new wave of music?

“Worth the Wait” was written at the end of last year. I started teasing it on the internet and the reaction from my fans was unlike anything I’d ever felt. I try to genuinely listen and react to the fan response, so it became undeniable to me that this song had to come next. “Worth The Wait reflects where I am with my current relationship and it’s kind of ‘our song,’ so that makes it extra special.

Love songs are no doubt some of the most beloved songs with fans of any genre, people really attach to them, when there a certain lyric in ‘Worth The Wait’ that while writing it you instantly knew people would latch onto?

I’ve always loved the opening line: “didn’t know that I could be this nervous for a good thing.” I think that encapsulates so much of what a wedding day would feel like. I also think worth the wait, is as much of a self-reflection song as it is a love song. The pre-chorus is “I’ve been to hell and back, but if it means a life with you well then, I’d do it all again.” To me, those lines about hardship and tribulation, make the love that you’re singing about that much sweeter.

From a writing session being scheduled to ‘Worth The Wait’ being in our ears, how long would you say the creation process behind this track took? And was ‘Worth The Wait’ always the track name?

This song became fully produced pretty fast. Like I said, the fans responded, so I had to respond faster! Even with a holiday break right in the middle, we made this song happen in just a few months. It was always called “Worth The Wait.”

Upon reading the lyrics for ‘Worth The Wait’ I was really taken by the opening line “Didn’t know that I would be this nervous for a good thing” that's such a universal feeling that you don't really ever hear out into words in music, that feeling of always expecting things to go wrong, so when it's right you're on edge, can you think of a time in your career where you felt that feeling?

I have kind of always struggled with imposter syndrome. So those words always ring true for me. I’ve felt that way before but headlining shows, playing the Grand Ole Opry or singing the national anthem for my favorite NFL team. The experiences are amazing, but they come with pressure and I don’t wanna mess them up!

What are you hoping fans feel after listening to ‘Worth The Wait?’

I hope a few things are felt. If people are in love, I hope this song captures exactly how they feel. I hope this song gives them language to feelings that they maybe couldn’t describe before listening to it. If someone isn’t in love yet, I hope it gives them hope to push forward and to keep looking for their person, while staying focused on their own journey of bettering themselves.

I have to bring up ‘Western’ it's an album I really love, and I just wanted to ask, after sitting with the album being out for well over a year, is there a song that over that time period has taken on new meaning for you and become a favorite of yours?

First of all, thank you so much!

Means the world! I’d say the song “Side of the Stage” means more to me now than it ever has. I wrote that song when I was incredibly lonely and felt like life was so empty, even though so many of my dreams were coming true. Now, I have someone on the side of the stage and it’s truly the best feeling. That song made me slow down and recalibrate what is important to me, so I’m forever grateful for that song.

Being an independent artist is something I really admire, what would you say been the biggest advantage of being independent, and on the same page, what has been an unexpected struggle?

Being an independent artist is a double edged sword. I love that it comes with freedom, speed, the ability to react to my fans and more control. Although those aspects are amazing, it also comes with tighter budgets, less support in certain situations, less access to resources or industry ‘gate-keepers’ and a lotttt of problem solving.

Even though people don't always give credit where it's due, country music is a vast genre, with so many sub-genres and niches to experiment with, I've noticed while going through your discography that you do quite a bit of experimenting within the genre, why do you think it's important to not box yourself into one specific sound?

Don’t get me wrong, genre exists for a reason. We want to categorize things so that we feel a sense of safety and control. I think most people like predictability and stability and that’s truly not a knock on anybody. SO DO I. But for me, genre is a rather out dated conversation. I watched the Grammy’s last night and 90% of the people there, that I look up to, had their identity firmly planted in several different genres. For me, music exists outside of labels and boxes, and the music that usually translates and transcends, is the music that is authentic to the artist making it. For me, it’s an authentic representation of my heart and soul, to blend genres and to give people an amalgamation of sounds + stories. As long as it feels like it’s who I really am, then I will unapologetically show the world my music and I’ll let them decide what genre it belongs in… or doesn’t.

Thank you so much for chatting with me Spencer! Before we wrap it up, what's next on the horizon for you? What can fans look forward to as we further embark on this new year?

THANK YOU! I have so much planned for this year, so just follow along on all socials, cause it’s about to get crazy!

Connect With Me:

Twitter

Instagram

Email: (For Press and Interview Inquires only) underpnkskiess@gmail.com

Connect with Spencer Crandall:

Twitter

Instagram

TikTok